MODEM SPLITTER

hijo 10:37 11 Oct 06

Hi all does anyone know if i can buy a cable that splits my modem as in ive got 2 pc's @ home & want to run them of the same modem....or is there an alternative as ive just got a new pc...?
thankx

johnnyrocker 10:40 11 Oct 06

dont think that will work without a router or network set up.

johnny.

ed-0 10:40 11 Oct 06

Are you on dialup or broadband internet. If it's broadband is via telephone or cable.

Do you want both computers to use the internet at the same time. Are both computers near to each other.

hijo 10:53 11 Oct 06

both my pc's are on b/band & are right next to each other

woodchip 10:57 11 Oct 06

The router is your spliter

ed-0 11:10 11 Oct 06

" both my pc's are on b/band & are right next to each other "

You could use a network crossover cable. Around a fiver.

pro's

cheap

fits into your existing lan / network sockets of the PC's.

Easy to configure.

con's

The machine with the modem attached must be switched on and connected to the internet for the other machine to access the web.

You have a wire from one machine to the other.

Alternative as woodchip

a router

A wifi modem router for around £50. Coupled with a pair of WiFi dongles £30.

pro's

The wifi router is always connected to the internet.

you can use either machine with out the other being on.

you could move the computers or the router to most places in the house.

you could use a loptop and be total portable, even in the garden.

no wires to the computer

easy to setup.

cons

price.

What is the make and model of your current modem?

hijo 11:30 11 Oct 06

ed-O MANY MANY THANKX M8 I UNDERSTAND NOW..& IAM OFF TO BUY A "CROSSOVER" CABLE..THANKX FOR TAKING THE TIME TO EXPLAIN....
REGARDS
H

woodchip 13:32 11 Oct 06

Only thing with a Cable, is both computers have to be switched on all the time to use it. Plus it's slower than a Router

hijo 18:58 11 Oct 06

ive never networked pc's b4 so this is new,i REALY appriciate all your post's but one more thing,ok the crossover cable is connected then what do i change with my b/band modem...& does my second pc still needed to be connected to the internet OR does the connection for both pc's come solely through my main pc & the slave downloads via my other pc...??? i hope this isnt complecated from me..thankx

ed-0 19:38 11 Oct 06

OK

At the moment, your main computer is connected to your modem and you have an internet broadband connection. Call this PC1.

With both machines switched off, connect one end of the crossover cable to the lan connector on PC1. Connect the other end to the lan connector in PC2.

Switch both machines on.

On PC1, open control panel, network places. Highlight Local area connection and make sure it is set to enable. Right click the Local area connection and scroll down to properties. This should open Local Area Connections properties window. Scroll down to Internet protocol ( tcp/ip )and highlight, pick properties.

Make sure a dot is in

obtain a IP address automatically

and

obtain a dns server address automatically.

Click OK and then OK.

Do the same for PC2.

Open IE > tools > internet options > conections > lan settings and tick auto detect settings.

Reboot both computers.

Start the internet on PC1, now try IE on PC2.

ed-0 19:48 11 Oct 06

Forgot

Put a tick in local area connections properties > advanced > allow other network users to use this internet connection. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…