modem speed

the hick 21:15 16 May 05

My old PC has an external 56 kbps modem, and the 'status' panel claims it is 115 kbps actual speed. My new pc has a built-in modem, again 56 kbps, but 'status' panel claims only about 28 kbps actual speed. This over the same phone line. Why is there apparently such a difference? The new PC does also seem slower on the net as well. Any advice appreciated, thank you.

Mr Mistoffelees 21:26 16 May 05

When I changed pc's some time ago I too saw a loss of speed from the modem. However your old modem was being misreported as 115kbps is impossible over dial-up. 56kbps is the theoretical maximum the modem can deliver, but the phone-line will not carry more than around 52kbps.

wiz-king 21:58 16 May 05

on a good day after 2 weeks dry weather on my dial-up modem,but I am a long way from the exchange and the cables are the old paper insulated type. Roll on optical fibres.

Dipso 22:13 16 May 05

click here for an explanation why the old PC status panel shows 115,200.

Have you tried a different dial up account to see if you get the same results from your new PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…