modem speed

the hick 21:15 16 May 05

My old PC has an external 56 kbps modem, and the 'status' panel claims it is 115 kbps actual speed. My new pc has a built-in modem, again 56 kbps, but 'status' panel claims only about 28 kbps actual speed. This over the same phone line. Why is there apparently such a difference? The new PC does also seem slower on the net as well. Any advice appreciated, thank you.

Mr Mistoffelees 21:26 16 May 05

When I changed pc's some time ago I too saw a loss of speed from the modem. However your old modem was being misreported as 115kbps is impossible over dial-up. 56kbps is the theoretical maximum the modem can deliver, but the phone-line will not carry more than around 52kbps.

wiz-king 21:58 16 May 05

on a good day after 2 weeks dry weather on my dial-up modem,but I am a long way from the exchange and the cables are the old paper insulated type. Roll on optical fibres.

Dipso 22:13 16 May 05

click here for an explanation why the old PC status panel shows 115,200.

Have you tried a different dial up account to see if you get the same results from your new PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…