Modem sound - all or nothing?

Carafaraday 13:31 18 Aug 04

Is there any way of turning down the modem's dial up sound, but not getting rid of it altogether? I am running Windows XP on a HP Pavilion t580.

Thanks.

Cuddles 13:53 18 Aug 04

Go into modem properties and turn sound down.

Carafaraday 14:19 18 Aug 04

It doesn't seem to be as simple as Cuddles suggested - firstly, I only seem to get the option of off or on, and secondly, I can't seem to change it anyway. (There are no administrator restrictions on my pc). Any other ideas?

Stuartli 14:39 18 Aug 04

Control Panel>Phone and Modem Options>Modem tab>highlight modem>Properties>Modem tab. Adjust the volume slider as required.

Stuartli 14:40 18 Aug 04

There's been another thread on the same subject in the past fortnight or so.

Carafaraday 14:51 18 Aug 04

Thanks for that - but as I wrote previously, I only have the option for off and on - can't get anything in between (after another go, I can switch the sound off altogether but I quite like to know that it's working).

I did look for a previous message before posting this one but didn't come up with anything.

carolineann 15:26 18 Aug 04

What ISP are you with.

Stuartli 15:32 18 Aug 04
  Stuartli 15:33 18 Aug 04

The suggestion I made above worked for palinka..:-)

Carafaraday 16:05 18 Aug 04

Thanks, all for your suggestions but I still have all or nothing! I have two ISPs - freeserve and jings. I'm going to go and have a look at their settings to see whether there is any adjustment possible there.

Stuartli - I think, not sure, that palinka wanted the sound back, not that she wanted necessarily to fine tune it?

Stuartli 16:51 18 Aug 04

If you do manage to find the modem volume slider as suggested, I'm not sure if it will lower or raise the volume whilst the modem is actually dialling out

Might be worth trying so you can get the level required...:-)

I can't visualise any reason why an ISP would allow sound settings to be made/adjusted, other than to suggest the standard methods already outlined in the threads.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…