Modem router and zone alarm

charlton200 16:38 18 Feb 07

hello,
i am trying to install a netgear dg632 adsl cabled modem router from my computer to my xbox live box.
I have noticed that the router has a firewall built in.
Will it clash with zone alarm i have installed.

many thanks.

Gongoozler 16:44 18 Feb 07

I found that ZoneAlarm was no problem with connecting the computers to the Internet, but did cause problems with trying to network the computers so that I could share files. having disabled ZoneAlarm, I can now ping from one computer to another, but I still haven't cracked the file sharing ;-(.
I don't think you really need a software firewall because the Netgear firewall can do it all for you anyway.

Strawballs 16:47 18 Feb 07

No it should not I have a linksys with built in firewall and running McAfee with firewall with no problem

Strawballs 16:50 18 Feb 07

Gongoozler the hardware firewall on router will stop incoming attacks but will not warn you about any software on your machine trying to access the net.

Gongoozler 17:19 18 Feb 07

I quite agree Strawballs. However my Netgear router firewall allows me to define what outbound services are to be blocked. I haven't yet worked out how to set these rules, hopefully one day I will.
There are some very knowledgeable members of this forum who advocate running with no firewall at all, but I wouldn't be happy doing that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now