Modem Router help needed

mahalo 20:22 01 May 06

I have formatted and reinstalled my computer with success, however as it is the second computer on my network, I am having problems getting the router to work. I have reinstalled the software that came with the modem, the adapter is plugged into the computer, it's connected to the phone line, but I cannot access the internet.
No. 1 computer is still working fine, hence I am talking to you, but the second computer when it is tested for connection to the main modem says it can't find a connection.
What I am doing wrong ?, any help would be gratefully received.
Cheers

CurlyWhirly 20:28 01 May 06

I know this may sound silly but is LAN enabled in the BIOS as when I upgraded from a USB modem to a router a couple of months ago, I was pulling my hair out wondering why it didn't work until I realised that LAN was disabled in the BIOS!

howard63 20:31 01 May 06

is it the same name as the first pc? should not be. Same workgroup needed. Check the ip address that the first one is using by opening a command prompt and typing ipconfig /all and then see what ip address the new one is on. It should be in the same range but with a different last number. If it isn't set it to use a given address by right clicking on network places then properties then highlight the network card and right click properties then highlight tcpip and right click properties then set ip address. make the subnet mask the same as the first pc.

terryf 20:32 01 May 06

Do the computers talk to each other? have you run the wizard?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…