Modem refuses to connect.

Indigo 1 17:29 27 Jun 04

When a friend of mine first got her PC it would not connect to her ISP server even using 0845 numbers untill she installed AOL then all was fine for a couple of months. Untill her trial period ended and now she can't get online again even using 0845 nos.

The AOL screen fires up and connection is attempted but it fails to connect with AOL error messages stating that a the Modem could not find a Dial Tone. The confusing thing is that the Modem transmits it's audible bleeping and screeching down the line before the connection attempt is aborted, even though it is set to "Check For Dial Tone before connecting" in properties.

Have checked Modem proerties in Device Manager and all seems well, have also looked for Port conflicts and am running out of ideas.

Spec; XP 2.5, Onboard Graphics, O/B sound, O/B LAN, Lucent Win V90 PCI Modem, 256Mb, XP Pro.

pj123 17:31 27 Jun 04

What O/S?

Indigo 1 17:34 27 Jun 04

As I said in the last line, XP Pro.

pj123 17:38 27 Jun 04

Sorry, didn't see XP pro. I don't have XP but if you know where "Add new connection" is Try making a new connection and use this number 08451 121212. Set it up and double click it and when prompted for user name type in anything you like and the same for the password, (anything you like) and click on Connect. If you get connected it is not your modem. So I would suggest a check of the ISP she is using.

Indigo 1 17:40 27 Jun 04

Thanks PJ123, but have alreay tried that one (free/emeregncy internet or something) first choice, no luck.

Indigo 1 15:40 28 Jun 04

^

ZEROTOLERANCE 15:49 28 Jun 04

sorry to muscle in Indigo 1,
but i keep seeing this bump, what is a bump?

Indigo 1 17:15 28 Jun 04

Just a way of getting your post back up on the front page so it get's noticed.

As people post new queeries and others get answered, those with less response slide down the page and eventually onto the next page etc. If you want to get an answer to your question, people need to see it and as most people concentrate on the front or first page......Bump ^ or ^UP^ or Refresh or anything you like to bring it back to the front.

Robotic_Rob 18:25 28 Jun 04

You sure you have all your settings correct for the system you have? Try comparing the settings in the connection for the AOL and the one youve made your self.

How old is your modem as well? As it could of died. As my last modem ended up sending out signals but it didnt want to listen to the signals come back.

Indigo 1 18:45 28 Jun 04

Thanks for the input.

Yes I have double checked the settings etc. and all seems correct but it's not easy to find all of AOL's 'secret' settings, and I am not very familiar with the AOL beast.

Modem is not new and is certainly over 2 years old so might have joined the "Choir Invisibule", again it's hard to tell, if it has, it will be the third modem she has gone through in less than 6 months (not impossible but highly unusual).

I have downloaded some drivers for it and will give them a shot when I next see her (tomorrow maybe) but will also take another modem round too just in case. I am reluctant to lend her my £30 Creative Modem Blaster if there is some Demon in her phone line which enjoys mashing up modems, but I don't use it at the moment and was only keepnig it 'just in case' my ADSL goes down. It's also my only way of Networking my two PC's.

PA28 18:59 28 Jun 04

Is it AoL or is it the modem? As this problem has occurred since there was a change in her account at AoL, I would be looking there first. First, as you have done, check Device Manager for any problems (should be OK) and check your settings - particularly your dialup and password. Also make sure that your dial tone is actually OK - 1571 can cause havoc! I'm sure that you've done this already. Then, in desperation(!), try completelyt uninstalling AoL (if you can!) and either reinstall or sign up with Wanadoo (nee Freeserve) on a dialup 0845 service (that way it costs you nothing to try and there's no obligation to continue - freedisks from Dixons or PCW). If that doesn't work, then uninstall your modem (including taking it out of the slot for a moment) and start from scratch. At worst, new modems are cheap!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…