Modem Recommendation

abra 14:34 04 Nov 03

Require a 56k V90 PCI HARDWARE Modem for use with Windows XPin a new SFF PC I am building.
Anyone recommend a good one.
At present I am connecting at 50-52K with my old Lucent Win Modem which I upgraded to V90 several years ago.

critic-al 14:51 04 Nov 03

I Would try going for an external usb v92 from US Robotics.

Stuartli 14:53 04 Nov 03

If you are getting 50-52kbps with your Lucent modem why change?

That's just about the absolute limit for a 56k modem and most people would be over the moon with such a performance.

I have a Diamond SupraExpress 56i V Pro and 52kbps is the best connection speed I've ever enjoyed and I live just half-a-mile from the exchange. I get 49.2kbps with Tiscali and 50.7-52kbps with Pipex.

A pal who lives further away has a ?9 basic modem and also gets 52kbps...:-)

critic-al 14:54 04 Nov 03
  Stuartli 14:55 04 Nov 03

Only thing I've done with the Diamond is install the Windows2000/XP driver - it has proved faultless since being acquired four years ago.

Stuartli 14:57 04 Nov 03

That's an external modem - abra clearly states he wants a PCI hardware version like my own Diamond modem.

Creative sells an external modem with all the bells and whistles for ?29.99 on its website.

pj123 16:46 04 Nov 03

You can get a V92 PCI Fax modem from either of these two places for 15 pounds (got fed up putting the pound sign and getting a question mark) click here or click here

critic-al 18:54 04 Nov 03

yes i know but there is nothing to stop abra using a usb external one if he so wishes,i was only pointing out what i would recommend,as before i went on to broadband, i used external modem myself and found it far more reliable than internal.

click here

abra 20:21 04 Nov 03

Thanks for the feedback.
Stuartli-The lucent is remaining in the existing PC.Never had problems with internal modems I could not solve.Prefer them to hanging bits on.
Is the Diamond a full hardware modem?

abra 20:30 04 Nov 03

V90 modem required.My ISP (BT Openworld) quote:-

"At present, BT Openworld is using the V90 modem; the approved, tried, tested and reliable modem driver. We are aware of the newly released V92, but as they're not yet fully approved, we have no plans to use them in the near future. There is no industry standard code, which is acceptable to the majority of modem manufacturers' interpretations of the v92 protocol. As soon as this is available from our suppliers we will support v92 operation. Unfortunately, we have no indication of how soon this will be"

Above may be of interest

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…