Modem protection on a UPS

CurlyWhirly 17:32 18 Aug 04

I have just bought a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) and as I have not used one before I need help as I can't find the modem protection socket!
It is an APC brand and all the switches I can find are an on/off switch and test button on the front of the unit.

Also there are 4 outlets on the back, 3 are surge and battery backup outlets and 1 is a full-time surge protection outlet with a circuit breaker also.
Does anyone own a UPS and know where modem protection connectors are?
I have read the manual but it doesn't mention anything!

By the way the model is a click here
CW

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:02 18 Aug 04

Certainly states modem connection / protection on the site.

If nowhere to plug in phone line and no mention in manual then send it back under trades description act.

CurlyWhirly 18:08 18 Aug 04

Thanks.
By the way I didn't buy it from the US retailer on the link I used ARIA which is based in Manchester.
So you think I should get in contact with them then and send it back?
CW

johnsims 18:32 18 Aug 04

If it supports modem protection, on the back of the UPS there will be two phone jack points, one with an arrow pointing in and one with an arrow pointing out. Plug the cable from the phone socket into the one with the arrow pointing in, and run a new modem cable from the jack with the arrow pointing out to your modem. This provides protection from anything (say lightning) that comes down the phone line and into your modem, thus preventing modem from being fried.

The APC site does not show this model as having modem protection, but the site you provide a link to in your post does mention it. From your link the model is BK650MC, on the APC site it is shown as BK650MI. suggest you go back to Aria and raise the question. Their description of what you bought DOES include modem/fax line protection.

Are you sure there is not a little door somewhere on the back or front with the phone line jacks behind it?

CurlyWhirly 18:39 18 Aug 04

Thanks for answering my UPS query like you did last time!
The actual model I bought is at click here and it DOES mention modem protection.
CW

CurlyWhirly 18:43 18 Aug 04

I have looked for a little door on the front and back and found nothing.
CW

johnsims 19:06 18 Aug 04

Yes, I did have a look at their site earlier. In the description it certainly does mention - and I quote - "Protection for Fax/Modem Connection" If there are not two phone jacks then somewhere I would think you are entitled to insist Aria replace it (with no additional carriage charge) with a model that does have the protection. I suggest you give them a call tomorrow and point out that you purchased that particular model because their description incleded modem protection. Don't throw away the packaging!

Post back with how you get on.

CurlyWhirly 19:15 18 Aug 04

I will let you know how I get on but I cannot resolve this issue now as their Customer Service telephone line is now closed so I will have to wait until tomorrow.
Regards CW

Dorsai 19:23 18 Aug 04

Am i right in thinking that you have bought a Back-Ups 650 as per click here

If so click here for a big piccy of it's back-side.

On it can clearly be seen a telephone in and out pair of sockets. If you do not have these it would seem that you have not actually recieved a BK650AC. perhaps some bod in the warehouse actually picked and shipped the wrong unit. It can happen.

CurlyWhirly 19:30 18 Aug 04

Thanks for your reply.
Yes it is the EXACT model that you sent me in the link well the front view is but the back only has the following 6 features:
1/ Computer Interface Port (computer monitoring)
2/ Option switches to alter voltage thresholds
3/ Circuit breaker
4/ Mains power inlet
5/ ONE full-time surge protection outlet
6/ THREE surge and battery backup outlets

but NO modem protection sockets.

I will reing ARIA tomorrow and try to resolve the issue then.
CW

Dorsai 19:37 18 Aug 04

you have seen advertised

APC BK650MC 650VA UPS

(pasted from the web site you bought from)

but the 650MC has modem protection. the 650VA doen not.

The 650VA is what you have.

click here

return to sender. They describe a 650MC. and ship a 650VA. Not the same unit.

Hope you paid by credit card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…