modem problems

alan 2273 21:28 14 Jun 03

My cousin has just built a computer consisting of a ECS socket a mobo, a 1800XP processor, 256mb single data ram, PCI g force 2 graphics, And is running 98SE.
He has fitted a 6 year old modem with updated drivers of the net. Every time he connects he hears the screeching and when it stops his computer locks up solid forcing a reboot, as I cannot suggest anything to help him can someone out there help.

clayton 21:44 14 Jun 03

Check these sites & go buy a new modem for about £10 try & get one with a conxtant chip

click here

click here

alan 2273 21:55 14 Jun 03

Thanks Clayton this was what I thought but I did not want to suggest it to my cousin as he is very short of money and a few parts ( not the modem) are out of my ex-machines.

woodchip 21:56 14 Jun 03

Yes the board will more than likely have a AMR or CNR slot for a Modem riser card very cheap and faster than a six year old modem click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…