Modem problems

bruno 21:49 09 Jan 03
  bruno 21:49 09 Jan 03

I have an HSP56MR modem.I recently had my pc repaired at a shop and a new hard drive fitted at the same time.The engineer re-installed win 98se from scratch.Since then I have had a problem with the modem if it fails to connect first time.Instead of redialling several times like it has always done it, sends a message listing about three possible faults.Nothing I can do clears these messages until I reboot the computer,then it will have another go dialling and often gets in.Any suggestions welcome.

Irishman 22:18 09 Jan 03

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? Driver can be found click here

xquest 23:37 09 Jan 03

Hi bruno,
I had something a bit like this on a new laptop and it was mostly a hardware error. Got my money back and the next new laptop also has the HSP56 (software ?) modem which, according to newsgroup contributors is dreadful. It certainly connected slightly better than the first laptop, but I took advice and got an MRi USB self-powered modem (£40 incl).
This is OK, but even so I was getting dropped connections on Virgin Net 24-7. Tesco and Virgin pay-as-you-go are OK.
On the advice of Virgin I rang BT to ask for the line gain to be increased and right now I've been on Virgin 24-7 for an unbroken 50 minutes. Virgin tell me they are altering their ISP hardware end of Feb. and things should improve.

So, new hardware self-powered modem and increased line gain may help.
Good luck,
xquest

bruno 08:48 10 Jan 03

Irishman and Xquest.
Thanks for the replies,I will try them both and see how I get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…