modem problems

Eileanbeag 09:22 01 Sep 04

My modem ceased to function and I removed it and put in the replacement sent to me from Eavesham.

It all seemed to go smoothly. I downloaded the drivers for the modem - Hayes v92 Internal faxmodempci.
In the Control Panel under phones and modems it shows the modem as Installed and Not functional.

In Device Manager there is a Yellow question mark and when I right click I get the message - the device cannot start (Code 10). Any suggestions as to what I might have done wrong?

Diodorus Siculus 09:26 01 Sep 04

Remove it via the device manager and reboot; the drivers may reload.

Eileanbeag 09:28 01 Sep 04

Tried that - it didn't help

SEASHANTY 10:56 01 Sep 04

Windows Device Manager Codes
click here

^wave^ 11:07 01 Sep 04

remove all modems from the device manager take out the modem and boot
shut down and put in new modem then reboot windows should pick it up as new hardware

Stuartli 11:11 01 Sep 04

Just a thought - in Device Manager, from the modem's Properties, is it enabled for use i.e. is "Use this device (enable)" listed on the General tab?

Eileanbeag 11:55 01 Sep 04

Have removed modem; shut down computer; physically removed modem; booted up computer; shut down computer; refitted new modem; booted up; re-installed drivers and still getting Not functional and Error Code 10 - I am positive that the modem is correctly fitted. Have also checked and Use this device is enabled. Any further suggestions?

SEASHANTY 15:06 01 Sep 04

You could click on properties (for modem) and try the "troubleshooting" option. May be an IRQ conflict. I do not use mine now as on BB with Lan card but the installed modem V9X HAM is using Com3
port and IRQ22. Presume yours will be something similar.

woodchip 15:09 01 Sep 04

What OS

woodchip 15:12 01 Sep 04

PS a External Modem is less problematic as it uses a Com port that is already allowed a IRQ setting. Not talking about a USB modem

SEASHANTY 15:39 01 Sep 04

Presume that you are using XP. This is another link
on the previous weblink I gave
click here
Perhaps you can glean something from this. It may be a problem with the driver you have downloaded. Was the previous modem working with a native windows driver? Until you can get shut of that yellow query in Device Mgr not much is going to happen - and more often than not these yellow
marks refer to problem drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced