//some 3rd party need geo

Modem problems

ericbrad 22:24 09 Jun 04

Thanks to Fruit Bat but have checked the settings,disconnect if idle box is not ticked.Perhaps I should explain the history of my PC. New machine from Carrera 3 months ago,worked OK for a while,then started shutting down with"System shutdown,shutdown was initiated by NT Authority system". System then shuts down and restarts. Contacted Carrera,who suggested I nave a virus or worm,and to place a shortcut on the desktop saying "shutdown -a" and to click on it to abort a shutdown, then to log on to "Microsoft.com/downloads" and to select option to check my pc for viruses or worms, and that once the on-line check was complete, I should be rid of the bug. So I tried that, and although the computer stopped it`s shutting down habit, it then started disconnecting from the internet every few minutes. So I could not get Microsoft to check my system. Further contact with Carrera by e-mail resulted in instructions to download new drivers for the modem (how do I do this with an internet connection that keeps disconnecting. Now Carrera will not provide any more software support unless I pay them about £45 per year. So can anyone out there help? ps. This e-mail is generated on my old Dan computer which is still working as well as the day I bought it 5 years ago.

sicknote 22:40 09 Jun 04

Does it still say NT AUTHOURITY/SYSTEM shutdown when internet disconnects

2neat 22:48 09 Jun 04

download the latest updates from ms. Burn erm to cd & install on new PC. Then go to ms and check for sasser etc. Run your upto date virus scanner.

VoG II 22:54 09 Jun 04

Also download Stinger and run it from a floppy click here

The DCOM vulnerability is ancient and I'm very surprised that you were sold an unprotected system.

ericbrad 20:14 22 Jun 04

to Sicknote, have been on holiday so a bit of a delay in my response. It says NT Authority System when the computer tries to shutdown,then I click on the "shutdown -a" shortcut which stops the shutdown. Then I can get onto the internet,but only for a couple of minutes. the internet logs itself off without any message,the dial up box appears for me to re-enter my username and password, I get back on the internet then the same thing happens.

end 20:41 22 Jun 04

I am confused. did you intend sending an "envelope e mail", as i have received one from you but I do not think I ahve any expertise to offer you; unless you ahve an earlier thread going that I have contributd to on another matter?????

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:47 22 Jun 04

System shutdown,shutdown was initiated by NT Authority system".

Have had same problem tonight took me two hours to get system up and running again turned out to be a problem with a USB device.

Cured by unistalling all USB devices and reinstalling.

/\0/\

ericbrad 21:40 23 Jun 04

I downloaded Stinger to my old computer,saved it on floppy and installed it on my new computer.
When I ran the virus checker it found that 247 files had been infected by the "Sasser.Worm.D.
Virus. It deleted all 247 files. The files were
all C:\Windows\System 32\ files, ranging between
10071_up.exe and 9937_up.exe.
I have not tried using the internet on it yet
(still using my old PC). Should the PC now be problem free?. How do I avoid getting the Sasser
Virus again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…