Modem Problem Toshiba Notebook

hmws 13:43 01 Jun 05

My step daughter has formatted the hard disk and couldn't re install windows 98.

I have loaded an old copy of mine and then upgraded to Windows 98 SE.

It doesn't appear to be finding the modem though. If I use add new hardware it doesn't pick up a modem.

Do I have open up the laptop disconnect the modem and then reconnect it for it to be recognised?

Any help you can suggest would be great. I have been on the Toshiba website and downloaded appropriate driver files without any success.

Thanks

TomJerry 14:14 01 Jun 05

no need physically open it up

read Toshiba manaul about how to get into bios, it is called "system untility" or something similar

Giant68 14:18 01 Jun 05

I have a Tosh laptop, and to get into BIOS you can either use a package called T Setup from Toshiba or press Escape when POST starts, then press F1.

Giant68

hmws 15:45 01 Jun 05

Hi

Thanks for your answers. I have downloaded T set up and copied into onto laptop.

Re-booted and checked that the settings all OK.

It is still not finding modem.

When I go into search Windows is searching com1 how do I get it to search on com2 as T set up suggests that is the port?

I don't have any manuals.

Thanks for you time

woodchip 15:47 01 Jun 05

It will pick the Modem up when the right drivers are loaded

TomJerry 16:38 01 Jun 05

Tosh manual is normally downloadable from their web site

hmws 08:31 03 Jun 05

I have loaded T Set-up and all appears OK.

I even downloaded the manual, took out the modem and re-installed and it was still not picked up.

The modem is apparently installed on COM port 2 and everytime it searches for new hardware it defaults to look at com port 1.

Thanks for your advice.

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now