Modem problem - no dial tone, but it worked before

SKiNFreak 12:48 06 Sep 03

Hello!

First post on here so I hope you can help me. I have had an odd problem reproduce itself on 2 machines.

First, is a Win 2000 box. I recently upgraded the OS and installed a PCI 56k modem. The installation went fine until I tried dialling. The computer refused to detect a dialtone. The modem cable worked with an old ISA modem (another problem that I'll post on here in a bit) so I don't beleive it was that. Normaly i would assume that the modem was bust...it is one of those modems that has two RJ connectors - one for the phone and one for the line. Same problerm in both sockets. Now this error reporduces itself on another PC, completely different components, two different leads.

Even though the PC says that it cannot detect a dial tone, I can hear something going on in the backround. Maybe a faint dial tone. I have been right through the settingsbut really cannot figure this one out...HELP!! Both PCs are oldish (P2 300 and a AMD K6-2 500). I doubt it is the modems (problem with both ISA and PCI on the AMD box.) I dunno! Help if you can...

Regards

Skinfreak

iashem 13:10 06 Sep 03

have you checked you modem cable as this could be damaged and have you got a phone line extension which could also be faulty

toxin 17:11 06 Sep 03

Try this if you have splitter on your phone line:-

Switch comp on, boot into windows, but do not try to connect to Internet, lift your phone handset and listen for a dialling tone.

If NO dialling tone Modem is kaput!

Have you had any thunderstorms recently? as this can wreck a modem if connected to the landline, even with the comp switched off.

Hope this helps, Toxin.

spuds 18:43 06 Sep 03

If you have a telephone extention cable connection, check this for faults.

SKiNFreak 19:02 06 Sep 03

No extension (main BT socket) and the modem cable works fine with the ISA modem. Is it possible that the ISA modem can use this cable only cos it is older and runs slightly differently? I am about to check the PCI modem in my home PC....we shall see. Any other ideas?

Irishman 19:18 06 Sep 03

Apologies if I insult your intelligence but have you checked to see if you have a message? BT's 1571 service gives a different dial tone for messages, perhaps the ISA modem does not check for a dial tone?

SKiNFreak 13:47 07 Sep 03

No 1571....both modems have had check for dialtone enabled. And, my intelligence is intact!! ;-)

brian990 14:35 07 Sep 03

I know this sounds simple, have you plugged an ordinary phone into your BT socket to see what dialling tone you get.............?

handy4x 14:39 07 Sep 03

did you use the cables that came with the modem some time ago i ha similer problem and the old cable was wired diferantly just a chance also check what com portthe modem is use ing and se if it is enabled also check that the riht drivers are installed

brian990 14:55 07 Sep 03

I have to agree with handy4x............The original cable with isa card may be wired differently than pci card, have come across this with many fax m/cs.................

SKiNFreak 18:52 07 Sep 03

this may be correct....testing the modem in a mo....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…