Modem Problem - Error 630

ingatestonian 07:49 30 Apr 04

I've just re-imaged my PC after a hard drive failure, using step by step instructions provided for me. Everything is fine, except I can't log on to the internet. I keep getting error 630. I've looked on microsoft pages and tried all the steps that seemed likely. Anyone any ideas. I think the problem is liked to the COM Ports. The system has set both modems found (Generic & Conexant) to COM3 & COM4 but on settings/system I can only see COM1 & COM2 existing. How do you change the COM port for a modem and is that likely to help? I'm on Windows ME.

Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 07:53 30 Apr 04

Try removing the modem from the device manager, reboot and reinstall the drivers when the add new hardware wizard appears.

click here

click here

click here

Some guidelines you may have seen already.

canard 21:33 30 Apr 04

Same happened to me and I changed the comport to existing one. ONLY I can't for the life of me think how I did it- but it fixed the prob. The pundits can tell you how to do it in a jiffy.

canard 22:28 30 Apr 04

Ha- settings- control panel-click modem and select diagnostics tab. Comports can be altered.

ZEROTOLERANCE 22:37 30 Apr 04

have you seen this fix? click here

ingatestonian 18:25 02 May 04

Thanks for your suggestions but nothing seems to have cured it as yet. Part of the reason for re-imaging was that I had been on ME but after getting a new hard drive the repairer installed 98. Modem was working fine on 98 but not after reimaging put ME back on. This must be the root cause?

Mikè 18:38 02 May 04

Are you saying that in device manager only com 1/com 2 are listed? If yes this is correct as these are hardware com ports. You speak of generic and Connexant do you actually have a Conexant modem? if so disable the generic from within device manager.

Also worthwhile checking to see if windows can comunicate with the modem, from within control panel modem options ( never had win 98) should be something like modem diagnostics.

ingatestonian 14:27 06 May 04

Thanks to all those who responded. Now resolved, but I'm not quite sure how. I've changed so many settings but unclear which one worked!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…