modem problem after a storm!

termc 14:49 10 Jun 03

My brother (not me of course!) was online when there was thunder and lightening almost overhead. He came down to show me everything on the screen looking like safe mode. We turned the pc off but since then, I have been unable to connect to the internet. When I try, there is a continous tone and then some short beeps. The a voice saying "please hang uo and try again".

A firend has suggested uninstalling then reinstalling the modem, then its drivers. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help which is appreciated

graham√ 14:51 10 Jun 03

Unplug the modem and see if the phone works.

Sir Radfordin™ 15:08 10 Jun 03

If the phone is working then you could try doing as your friend suggests. If not then it could be that the line has had a spike and the modem will no longer work. You can obtain a replacement from around £10.

Grayling 02:27 19 Aug 03

My parents have just had their second modem wiped out by storm induced power surges. In addition to buying a new modem for them I've also invested in an in-line surge protector for the new modem (plus one for me). They are available as a stand alone item or combined with surge protection three pin power cable adaptors and are readily available to buy on line: just try a search on MODEM SURGE PROTECTION (or pop round to Argos!).

termc 17:31 28 Aug 03

thanks. It looks loike the storm did 'spike' it so I bought a new modem and surge protector too

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…