modem problem

farmboy 16:21 02 Apr 04

I have formatted and reinstalled windows 98 for a friend, the trouble is the computer cannot find a modem, even though there is one. I have looked in the device manager, but modems is not even listed. All there is is a exclamation mark next to communications devices. Network card is ok. I have looked in the computer and there is a modem in a isa slot, and my friend says it was working before the format. Do i need a modem driver before it can locate it. I have tried installing freeserve in the hope that it locates it, but a message appears asking me to input settings manually as it cannot be done automatcally.
please help?

GaT7 16:35 02 Apr 04

Remove the modem & reseat it in another spare slot (or reseat in same slot) & let Windows pick it up as it starts up. Then when Windows asks for the drivers put the driver-CD (assuming you have one) in the CD-rom drive & install the drivers from there.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 16:38 02 Apr 04

Is the ISA modem enabled in bios? and the drivers should be on the mobo cd if he has it.

Regards.

farmboy 17:14 02 Apr 04

Would formatting the hard drive change the bios settings. In the mean time i will try another isa slot to see what that does

farmboy 17:14 02 Apr 04

Would formatting the hard drive change the bios settings. In the mean time i will try another isa slot to see what that does

Indigo 1 17:16 02 Apr 04

Use Aida32 click here to identify the rouge modem then search for drivers click here for a start.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 17:19 02 Apr 04

I think you mean PCI slot not ISA slot as an ISA mobem is different.

Regards.

Cuddles 18:01 02 Apr 04

The only difference between a ISA modem and a PCI modem is the different slots they go in, either one should be picked up by windows.

farmboy 18:32 02 Apr 04

The modem seems to be plugged into a white slot (1 of 3) thre is a long brown slot (pci i think) and a small brown slot.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 18:35 02 Apr 04

Small brown ISA , 3 White PCI Long brown AGP.
more likly its a PCI modem.

Regards.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 18:46 02 Apr 04

The ISA slot needs to be enabled in the bios to be used and PCI dont,what is the modem make?the com device may well be the modem so it is bieng seen just not recognised.Can u take the modem out and look what if anything it says on it.Internal modems usually set up on com 3 or 4
witch are like virtual ports and cant be sen in device manager.Sounds like a hardware modem did he have a box in task bar before like traffic lights?

Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…