Modem Problem

MoiraB 15:49 07 Jan 04

I've spent several hours on the telephone trying to help a friend at the other end of the country solve his problem but without success. He has been given a PC which he says is Pentium Cirex MXPR300 funning Windows 98. It had an internal modem but didn't work as there was something missing (he says), so he bought a Sitecom DC-009 exterbal modem from PC World (USB connection). We have removed the modems showing in device manager and rebooted to get the message "new hardware found" but when he inserts the CD to install the driver as instructed by the wizard it says it cannot find the driver on Drive D. I've got a feeling it might be still treating the old internal modem as the new hardware and ignoring the new modem. Anyone got any ideas? He can't go on the internet to search there as he hasn't got a working modem.

djwheeler 15:51 07 Jan 04

Has he taken the old modem out of the PC?

MoiraB 15:53 07 Jan 04

Not as far as I know - this is his first PC so I'm not sure he would be capable of doing that.

alcudia 16:05 07 Jan 04

Then he will have to open it up and remove the internal modem. Probably have to remove it again in DM first.

djwheeler 16:05 07 Jan 04

May need to tell the wizard which folder on the CD the driver is in. When asked for a location of the driver could try browsing the CD, there could be Driver folder and then under that a WIN98 folder. If he goes into that folder and then just click OK that should tell the wizard where the driver is located.

djwheeler 16:15 07 Jan 04

When the New Hardware Wizard runs it should say what hardware it has found so he should be able to tell whether it is the old one or new one it wants to install.

Tog 16:23 07 Jan 04

Leave the new modem disconnected or off. Boot up and let the PC find the PCI Communications device. Follow through the installation. Go into device manager and Disable the modem/unknown device. Reboot and follow the instructions to install the external modem software. Leave the internal modem in device manager disabled.

MoiraB 11:45 08 Jan 04

Managed to get it installed last night by browsing the CD as DJwheeler suggested. Thanks to all of you.

Stuartli 12:27 08 Jan 04

The Cyrix is not a Pentium CPU.

Here's a website that deals specifically with them:

click here

Stuartli 12:28 08 Jan 04

...nor even an Intel processor...

Stuartli 12:37 08 Jan 04

If it's an onboard modem (ASR) then it would have had to be disabled in the Bios.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…