modem problem

I have just bought and installed windows xp (I had to uninstall it to write this message!) and found that I couldn't connect to the internet because my internal modem wasn't being recognised. I checked all the settings but they all seemed ok. Does anybody have any ideas please.

minter 21:34 01 Jan 04

Was your modem supplied with your computer?

Were you running W95 or W98 previously?

If the answer to both the above questions is yes you may have to purchase a new modem.

Is the modem on the "Device Manager" list. If it is try installing the drivers for it over XP - that is if you have the original drivers on disc.

Go to My Computer - View System Information - Hardware - Device Manager - Modem, then right click Modem - click Properties - Drivers. Then try and istall your drivers from the disc.

HI Minter. Yes it was supplied with the computer. I have windows ME. I tried putting in the utilities disc and the recovery disk but it said there were no drivers to load.

minter 16:47 02 Jan 04

Next thing you need to do is find out the make of the modem. If you can do this you should be able to download drivers for it.

Take a deko at the modem see if it has a manufacturers name on it, i.e. U.S.Robotics (most likely).

minter 16:54 02 Jan 04

Have a look in your Utilities Disc = Start - My Computer - Utiiity Disc - Explore. See if there is a folder called "Drivers", if there is take a look and see if there is one named "modem".

If there is it does not necessarily load automatically, and you will have to insert it (gently).

Stuartli 17:49 02 Jan 04

If you know the make of your modem or the chipset used (most likely a Rockwell, now Conexant) you can do a search for an XP driver for it (sometimes a Windows 2000 driver works OK).

Go to Programs>Accessories>SystemTools>System Information and in the Components section your modem info will be given in detail.

Once you have that, go to click here or click here or similar and enter the information you have gleaned.

You should then get a list of the drivers for various operating systems for your modem.

Stuartli 17:53 02 Jan 04

Unless you are very unlucky, there will be no reason why you should have to buy a new modem; my Diamond SupraExpress 56i V Pro is four or five years old and has been used with Windows95, 98, 98SE and 2000/XP drivers.

But the later ones have not been easy to find as SonicBlue took over Diamond and then washed its hands of the whole affair....:-)

Perseverence paid off, however, as the SupraExpress is a "proper" hardware modem and still works well.

Stuartli 17:56 02 Jan 04

For those Diamond modem owners who are interested, Diamond Multimedia was taken over by Best Data Products at the beginning of September. Here's a link for past and present products support:

click here

sattman 19:59 02 Jan 04

Have you tried removing the modem from Device manager and then reboot to let it find drivers and re-install.

Thanks folks
When I looked in system info it said that the modem was attached to com3 and xp was looking for it in com1 the trouble is I don't seem to have an option to change it. I think I might change to broadband in which case I'll have a separate modem anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…