Modem port in use by another application

Dinkenor 20:28 02 Aug 07

For some months now I've been getting really erratic dial-up speeds - from 16Kbps to 44 on my 56Kbps modem. When I checked the Query Modem button I get the message: 'The port that the modem is using is currently open by another application. Exit any application that is using the port.

Does this explain the strange dial-up speeds I've been getting. If so how do I solve the problem? I cannot see what other port is being used. Nothing seems to be in conflict.

I am using Windows XP sp2.

Would appreciate your help.

Dinkenor

brundle 22:51 02 Aug 07

If you have a `softmodem`, then it will prevent any diagnostic software checking the `port` (as it's just software running to provide it), and it will be more of a drain on your PC when it's communicating. Try to track down a hardware modem, Rockwell chipsets are proven hardware solutions and generally work better than `softmodems` US Robotics is also a proven name to look for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…