Modem Port (COM3) locking up

Pagets 13:58 12 Sep 06

I've got a toshiba laptop running Windows XP and recently I've started experiencing a problem when using the internal modem. Basically I can dial up to the internet (and I do have a dial up account for use with this laptop) but after a short while the port seems to lock.

My browser can't find any websites and even though I can close down the browser I can't disconnect the port. As a consequence the browser won't redial as the port is busy. The only way I can clear this at the moment is to to restart the laptop.

I am using the internal modem and connecting the cable into port COM3.

Any suggestions as to what might be the problem and if there is any other way to clear a locked port than restarting?

Pagets 13:56 13 Sep 06

Help...please...

johnnyrocker 14:01 13 Sep 06

surely you have not explained it right!? afaik an internal modem connects via 2j11 to phone socket?

johnny.

johnnyrocker 14:04 13 Sep 06

rj11 oops.

johnny.

Pagets 14:13 13 Sep 06

Exactly, I'm connecting the telephone cable into port COM3

My issue isn't with the cabling, its why the modem or port could be locking up and what I can do to resolve it

johnnyrocker 14:51 13 Sep 06

delete and recreate your dial up connection usually works.

johnny.

Pagets 15:01 13 Sep 06

thanks johnny i'll give that a try!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…