Modem plugged in causes phone to constantly ring

CLONNEN 16:14 10 Jun 04

Just bought a new computer but when I plug the modem lead into the extension phone socket all the telephones connected to the line start up with a non-stop ringing noise. My old computer plugs into the same extension socket and has never had this problem. The new computer has a Creatix v90 internal modem - it connects to the internet okay (ceases to ring when I activate the modem) but as soon as I disconnect my dial-up connection the ringing starts up again - Can anyone help? For the moment I am physically pulling out the modem cable from the telephone socket when I am not using it. I would like a more permanent solution though.

Graham ® 18:00 10 Jun 04

This is caused by a wiring reversal on an extension socket. The old computer probably didn't have a connection to the ring circuit on connector 3. You will have to either disconnect connector 3 0n the modem socket, or swap the wires on 2 and 5 on that socket.

CLONNEN 06:06 11 Jun 04

Sorry I am not at all familiar with technical stuff. Is there a website that explains which connector is which and how to change them? Preferably with clearly labelled diagrams.

ened 06:45 11 Jun 04

Try changing the cable which connects the modem to the network.

Forum Editor 07:03 11 Jun 04

into which you plug the modem. Inside you'll see six numbered connectors and wires will be on some of them (probably four of them). Disconnect the wire from connector number three.

If the connectors are off the clamp type, requiring a special tool to insert the wire, cut the wire with a small pair of scissors.

CLONNEN 07:10 11 Jun 04

Thanks I'll try this sometime this weekend.

Graham ® 10:08 11 Jun 04

Wiring diagram click here

woodchip 10:12 11 Jun 04

Are you using any kind of ISP that uses a Dial-Up box, Like NTL-BT connection

Big Elf 10:22 11 Jun 04

I had this problem. In my case I had to set the phone to do tone dialling rather than pulse dialling.

pj123 14:26 11 Jun 04

There are two types of modem cables. A 2 wire connection and a 4 wire connection. You have the wrong one. Check your connections and buy the other one.

CLONNEN 18:14 11 Jun 04

Yes I am using an unlimited monthly fee Dial Up connection through my BT line.

My modem is already set to tone dialling and it is set to United Kingdom on the International settings tab in Modem Properties. Makes no difference - the phones still ring when connected even with computer disconnected from the mains.

Is a two wire cable the UK type? If so where can I buy one? I've currently got a standard RJ11 to BT plug modem cable - Is this a four wire cable?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…