Modem or Router or what?

  PeteStarr 19:09 08 Aug 08

I have a computer of my own now that i want to connect to the internet. The problem is that my house is quite big, and using a simple router that's connected to the modem is a bit difficult, as its too far away and has too many walls and floors for a really long cable to be practical. My original plan was to connect it through the wall to another phone connection point (don't know what its called)by a wire. So if i was going to do this, what would I need to do?

If i get another Modem will it still be able to connect to the same broadband connection. If i get a router it has to be connected to the modem doesn't it, so i have the same problem of practicality. Sorry if i seem stupid, I'm just too fed up with learning new stuff about computers at this point. :P

  Ashrich 00:14 09 Aug 08

A home plug system might be better for your needs , click here for an example . They are also expandable by adding extra adapters so eventually the whole could be covered , or you could add a wireless router for coverage to another part of the house .


  dms_05 09:03 09 Aug 08

I use Homeplug for a larger house, it works well and is the simplest of all connections. Genuine Plug and Play.

You should have your incoming Broadband ADSL Modem/Router at the BT Master Socket (it's important NOT to use this on an extension as you will degrade the Broadband). Then connect one HomePlug at this point and another in the remote part of the property. If you need more than one PC connection at the remote location you could have a simple router there and plug in the computers with standard LAN network cable to that router.

So it's:

BT Master Socket to ADSL Modem/Router
ADSL/Modem Router to Homeplug (LAN cable) in 240v mains socket
HomePlug in convenient remote 240v socket to Remote PC (or Router) with LAN cable
(If you use a router then just connect the PC's to the router with LAN cable).

  PeteStarr 21:50 18 Aug 08

OK well i found out that my motherboard has built in wireless router. So i figure what
I'm going to do is use the modem from the other computer to connect mine to the internet then buy a dongle to connect the old one to mine by wireless.

In fact I've already done this but am having more problems in connecting to the internet. I'm gonna post this problem in another thread. Thanks for the help

  Hexode 19:41 20 Aug 08

"So i figure what
I'm going to do is use the modem from the other computer to connect mine to the internet then buy a dongle to connect the old one to mine by wireless."

These Power line Adapters are a terrible source of radio interference, the basic design is ill-concidered. Some, such as those used by BT Vision are being investigated by Ofcom.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…