Modem or Netscape

woodchip 18:38 29 Apr 03

If I have been on PCA site, then close Dial-Up but leave Netscape 7 on Screen so I do not have to reload, just press Dial-Up you would Expect it to work OK "Right" Not so It hangs when changing from one post to another. Hear is some info I have a program that checks network activity called NetMedic it say there is a modem problem not connected properly or failed connection although it will move from page to page if I keep clicking on two little TV's in task bar. I am on Win98. I have to Reboot and restart Netscape to Clear it. ANY IDES APPRECIATED

woodchip 18:41 29 Apr 03

PS I shall be back about 9pm. Maybe a Windows Dun problem but no corrupt files in SFC

woodchip 21:17 29 Apr 03

NO ONE

woodchip 21:32 29 Apr 03

Don't answer all at once

VoG™ 21:50 29 Apr 03

In view of the deafening silence.......

What happens if you do the same thing but using a different browser such as Opera. If you still get the problem it points to the modem; if not then Netscape.

woodchip 22:13 29 Apr 03

Thank's It's nice to know that there is still someone out there. Problem is on this one is I do not know where to start. I removed IE6 with IElite some time back thinking this would improve matters but I have not seen any change. I have just increased Comm buffers in Sys.ini to see if that improves it but it's a bit hit and miss at the moment. I am just of to see what Modem Utilities I can find

VoG™ 22:16 29 Apr 03

I'd still suggest that you try another browser as a process of elimination. Opera is free click here and you can ditch it as soon as you've done a test. Good luck!

woodchip 22:32 29 Apr 03

I think it's on the PCA mag CD I will check it out see if that's the problem. but it look's like a trial and error job. cannot understand it I have just downloaded a file from Cnet 1032Kb at 4.6Kb a sec and it never fluffed

woodchip 23:17 29 Apr 03

Windows think's my External serial modem is a Uart, what's the difference

VoG™ 23:21 29 Apr 03
  DieSse 00:05 30 Apr 03

A UART is the chip that drives the serial port that your modem is connected to.

Does it work OK if you close Netscape down? - I suspect it does - if so there's your answer. The problem lies somewhere between Netscape and the DUN. I used to do a similar thing with IE, and it always worked Ok for me (now on ADSL, so I can't check it for you until I get another system on the bench ñater this week).

Do you have all the Win updates?. If you keep usng SFC you run the major danger of replacing new updated files with older versions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…