Modem optimizer blues. I'm Desperate

caast©? 12:55 19 Mar 04

A couple of days ago I loaded a modem optimizer can't remember but think it was on a cover disk, that also stated optimized even Broadband.

I have removed the *** thing in add remove programs and I am still having problems with IE6,

I have Norton Antivirus, Pest Patrol, (which listed the optimizer, as adware and removed it) and Zone Alarm Pro which still keeps asking me if I want to allow Internet optimizer to access the internet, (obviously I keep saying no)

My PC has slowed down to a crawl, but I cannot ascetain if it has caused it, as lots of people seem to be having problems.

Sites like Google seem fine but this forum has slowed down after yesterdays move.

One of my main problems is that I cannot view my own website off this (Host)PC. It loads the front page with Navigation Frame and IndexPage but when I click on any of the links the Main frame is loaded with this Optimizer Page with a note at the top cannot load/find said page. HELP/NAVIGATION ERROR - File Not Found
Unable to find click here.

However if I load my site from any of the networked PC it works fine. Can anyone please tell me what is happening? and how can I get rid of this optimizer once and for all.

I have also noticed that a couple of clicks into other sites the PC grinds to a halt and eventually loads this internet optimizer home page, and at one time set it as my default, but I was able to reset it back to google in IE options. M

caast©? 13:14 19 Mar 04

Pictures on sites do not appear to be displaying,

MichelleC 13:18 19 Mar 04

See if there's any residue MO files (and delete) by using search or looking in registry (HKEYS_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/MO) but backup reg 1st by exporting. Then reinstall modem. If still no go then run sfc.

caast©? 13:30 19 Mar 04

I have no problem with regedit

But how due I find residue files and how do I know which is OK to delete. Cannot do a search because I don't know what I am looking for.

Also why are pictures not displaying, I would have thought the optimizer would have reset the internet options not to display pics/sounds/video etc as part of the optimization to make pages load faster, however all the items in options / multimedia in IE6 are checked M

MichelleC 15:04 19 Mar 04

If you search for the name of the MO you can delete anything which comes up (and in the unlikely event if there's any probs restore files from bin). Same with registry (restore from exported location).

We've got to get you back to the stage before the install. When you've done above the only way to repair ie or oe in xp is to run sfc /scannow, or if that doesn't work run a repair click here (If you're 98+ there's other ways).

woodchip 15:10 19 Mar 04

Go to start\Run type MSCONFIG go to the startup tab and look for the optimizer and remove the tick from the box

caast©? 16:56 19 Mar 04

I am a little reluctant to do re-install, of windowsXP until I have everything backed up to DVD however if this persists, it looks like I am going to have to do it.

Just can't get round pictures not displaying.
I have just been on a site, I have got pictures and downloaded the with Right click.

However on other sites they are missing, even the little mail icons have gone off this site.

I have just run Norton and Pest Control, but Hotbar is still there and I have deleted the file 3 times to-day. Pest Control is supposed to delete all associations, even registry entries. M

Bagsey 17:15 19 Mar 04

Why not do a system restore to a time before you loaded the optimizer???

GaT7 17:28 19 Mar 04

If PestPatrol is still finding instances of Hotbar (or any other scum), use the info it displays to MANUALLY delete them with Regedit. Also delete all files in your Temp folders including temporary internet files.

caast©? 17:53 19 Mar 04

Have unchecked optimizer in start up, but now have the message:-
system config utility is running in Diagnostic or selective

caast©? 17:56 19 Mar 04

woodchip
Have unchecked optimizer in start up, but now have the message:- system config utility is running in Diagnostic or selective start up mode causing this message to be shown and the utility to run every time windows starts.

Then suggests selecting normal start up and un-doing the changes. M

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…