Modem not working on old system

Legolas 23:09 03 Feb 03

I tried taking my 56k modem out of my self build and installing it on an old system I have this is a 133Mhz Compaq Desktop Pro2000 when i try to install the drivers for the modem it says it cannot detect an MMX CPU which is needed for the modem to work is there a workaround for this or do i need to upgrade to an MMX cpu?

Rtus 23:22 03 Feb 03

You may find the board wont support the newer cpu Have you thought of a older style modem/ or external one . check its system requirements before buying..

Legolas 23:34 03 Feb 03

Hi Rtus I want to network this old comp with my selfbuild and i wanted to see if it would recognize the modem on its PCI slot as it would not recognize a PCI soundcard I tried a while ago so I had to search for an isa soundcard. This was really to see if I would have trouble with a network card being recognized in this system, it looks like I might have to upgrade the CPU to MMX if I can.

Rtus 23:47 03 Feb 03

The network card should be recogognised without any real bother.But theres software to run to initalise it..Have you tried one?

Rtus 23:48 03 Feb 03

What O/S you running on the Compaq

Legolas 23:51 03 Feb 03

No not yet I am going for one tomorrow so I will try it out and see how it goes, will let you know.

Legolas 23:55 03 Feb 03

I am running Win 98 i tried installing ME the other day and got a message saying i needed at least a 166Mhz CPU.

Rtus 00:10 04 Feb 03

stay with w98 mate its easier to cope with ..if youve only 2 machines why not try nulmodem cable the hardware book would show you the requirements of the cable easy to make.No extra cards needed..

Legolas 00:14 04 Feb 03

Cant say i,ve heard of this what is nulmodem cable?

Legolas 00:16 04 Feb 03

Oh and i,m running XP Pro on the other machine

Rtus 00:30 04 Feb 03

click here
theres other guides too ive put somewhere ill post them later on in morning ./.must get some kip..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…