modem not recognised

cosh 11:47 26 Mar 07

I have just reformatted my hard drive and reloaded win98SE but I now cannot get my Rockwell 560hcf moden to be recognised.
It is in the same PCI slot as before. When the PC searches com1 and com 2 (the only com ports shown) it cannot find a modem. I have installed a modem on each of these ports, do I have to somehow install a PCI driver? I do not think so as my USB ports work and they are in a PCI slot.
Can anyone please help me to install the modem?

recap 12:04 26 Mar 07

Have you configured the modem in Add New Hardware fromt the Control Panel?

Stuartli 12:13 26 Mar 07

..and reinstalled the driver?

cosh 21:03 26 Mar 07

Thanks recap & stuartli for you responses. However I think I've already done what you said
When I just swithched on the PC it said it had found new hardware a PCI Serial Controller. So I selected display list of drivers and selected type MODEM and installed a modem driver from my Computor Assossiates disc for a Rockwell Internal HCF for win9x. When I them selected mondems in control panel it did not show one. Com 1 and Com 2 said no modem and whin I tried to dial up in O.E it said something to the effect that it could not detect the modem.
Going to Add New Harware and installing from the C&A disc the modem on either com 1 or com 2 and then selecting modem properties then diagnostics the selecting the port with the modem shown attached and the selecting MORE INFO says failed to contact modem or something similar.
Has the PCI Serial Controller anything to do with this? I did start to install a PCMICA drive r but the machine then advised me that it would remove my existing PC card driver first but as my USB ports work which are in another PCI slot I backed off.
Any further advice would be most welcome

cosh 21:05 26 Mar 07

Thanks recap & stuartli for you responses. However I think I've already done what you said
When I just swithched on the PC it said it had found new hardware a PCI Serial Controller. So I selected display list of drivers and selected type MODEM and installed a modem driver from my Computor Assossiates disc for a Rockwell Internal HCF for win9x. When I them selected mondems in control panel it did not show one. Com 1 and Com 2 said no modem and whin I tried to dial up in O.E it said something to the effect that it could not detect the modem.
Going to Add New Harware and installing from the C&A disc the modem on either com 1 or com 2 and then selecting modem properties then diagnostics the selecting the port with the modem shown attached and the selecting MORE INFO says failed to contact modem or something similar.
Has the PCI Serial Controller anything to do with this? I did start to install a PCMICA drive r but the machine then advised me that it would remove my existing PC card driver first but as my USB ports work which are in another PCI slot I backed off.
Any further advice would be most welcome.
I am on dial up internet and not on all the time. I will not be on again until tomorrow around noon.

Stuartli 21:58 26 Mar 07

Dialup modems can be a real pain up the rear end...:-)

Rockwell drivers can be found at:

click here

but you will/may need to discover your modem's model number.

Try removing the driver in Device Manager, installing the appropriate driver and then Uninstalling the modem itself (again in DM) and rebooting.

In theory Windows should Find New Hardware and install the modem.

You will have to check out the modem configuration and, for instance, make sure that it is set for UK operation (many modems have the US as the default).

If this doesn't work then letting Windows Add New Hardware search on the Net for the driver may work.

Knowing the model of the modem would help in finding the correct drivers.....

cosh 21:17 27 Mar 07

I have been to the site, DRIVER GUIDE, that you recommended, Stuartli, and downloaded several drivers which appeared to be applicable and stated to be for win98. Thank You

Also I have now installed the modem as the driver on the PCI seial controller instead of either com 1 or com 2 and it came back showing the modem on a new (to me) port, COM 3 . When I went to MODEM Properties Diagnostics it contacted the modem OK and gave the further details at the bottom of the panel. The first time it has done this!

But I still could not dial out because it says the was no dial tone. I have checked the phone socket and replaced the lead from there and now when I try to contact the modem thruogh the Diagnostic's further info it fails and says the port is still open. Also it says the INTERRUPT is 0 --I thought it should be 2 for COMM 3 . How woud I change it?

Thanks for any help again Cosh

Stuartli 23:03 27 Mar 07

It could just be a modem which has given up the ghost - it's certainly not unknown.

Another point with dialup modems. Do you use 1571?

If so and there are messages which have not been undeleted then the modem won't be able to find a tone as it alters to warn about messages.

Also check that Wait For a Dial Tone is Enabled in the modem properties.

But, as I said before, dialup modems can be a real pain in the rear end - I should know as I've spent dozens of hours sorting them out both for me and family and friends...:-(

cosh 17:06 03 Apr 07

I eventually installed an internal modem card a intel RS 56/SP-PCI 11P1 and with a connexant Softk56 data Fax Spekerphone istalled on the PCI controller it all worked. Thanks for you help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac