Modem not Recognised

dregn 09:10 27 Dec 04

I added a new stick of memory to a friend's PC running Win98SE.
I reinstalled the OS. which went well.
I tried to set up the internet connection but it was reported that no modem was detected.
Previously I had setup the internal modem as a generic 56k modem ( Reported as working normally ) and before the upgrade the internet connection had been OK.
How do I get the modem recognised ?

Any ideas, please.

5ean 09:42 27 Dec 04

I would find out what modem it is and download the driver for it (on another pc). Failing that I would go buy a new modem for very little money as it's less hassle and then you always have the driver for it.

You could also try moving it to a different PCI slot as this sometimes works for me.

5ean 09:43 27 Dec 04

Why did you re-install the OS to add a memory stick? Were there other problems?

dregn 10:09 27 Dec 04

Thanks for that - I must have a look at the card and identify the manufacturer - or maybe it will show up in Belarc.

I reinstalled Win 98 on my friend's PC as she had got in a terrible mess ( she knows next to nothing about computers ) and I think her grandchildren had got at it !

It is running very well now. Incidentally she had bought the PC about 5 years ago and the local assembler had seen fit to supply it with a mere 64mb of memory !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…