'modem not present' after every reboot on XP Pro

Flopper 18:19 30 May 03

Recently upgraded to XP Pro and my generic 56kbps Rockwell Chipset V90 modem states 'modem not present' every time I shut down and restart.
I had this problem some months ago and left a message here but got only one reply. The problem was resolved then (I cannot remember how) but has reappeared. I either let it 'auto' find and install or I point it to the driver on a floppy which came with the modem and it works as I say until I shut down. I do not know the original manufacturer. In System/Device Manager the modem is shown as 'Rockwell DPF PnP'.
Is it the generic modem or driver not compatible with XP or something else ? It worked fine with Win2K.

-pops- 18:27 30 May 03

Have a look at this click here

Flopper 18:31 30 May 03

I 'clicked here' (twice)and went nowhere ?

Djohn 18:42 30 May 03

Give it another try, the link does work. J.

Flopper 18:50 30 May 03

I could not get the link to work but got to the site by other means and left a message.
Thanx

mosfet 21:32 30 May 03

I had exactly the same prob.It was the driver not installed.which was not easy,whatever i chose box said not recomended not written for this device but it worked in the end.Rockwell came up on the list.It was Allied Data Tech modem with several drivers on the cd.Hope this helps.

-pops- 07:04 31 May 03

I have checked and the click here does work, as Djohn says.

The link goes directly to a page specifically about your problem and, I thought, some way to a cure.

Sorry if it doesn't.

Brian

-pops- 07:06 31 May 03

BTW as modems are so cheap, it may be more economical to buy a new one that is XP compatible rather than mess around trying to make some obsolete item work in a system for which it was never intended.

Brian

Flopper 22:56 31 May 03

Once again the problem seems to have mysteriously resolve itself. I tried to 'remove' the modem from System/Device Manager and let XP find it and auto load driver. This failed, but today the modem stayed put and fired up immediately. Strange !!
Thanx for your time and advice anyway.

Flopper 22:58 31 May 03

Once again the problem seems to have mysteriously resolve itself. I tried to 'remove' the modem from System/Device Manager and let XP find it and auto load driver. This failed, but today the modem stayed put and fired up immediately. Strange !! Thanx for your time and advice anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…