Modem not installing

malarky 23:15 03 Nov 03

A friend has a pc that had a new hard drive fitted. The modem will not communicate with the outside world. I put the modem in an old DEC pc and it installed as a "3COM WINDOWS MODEM TI" and connected through COM3 and it worked fine. I installed another modem into her PC, using the the driver disk and it put itself on COM4 and worked ok. When I try to put her modem on her PC, it sees it as a "US Robotics Sportster 33.6" and only gives the option to install on COM1 or 2 (but both show up twice on the menu). Both PCs are running Win98. Any ideas?

Diodorus Siculus 21:55 04 Nov 03

Try removing the modem from the Device manager and try reinstalling again... it might be of some help.

A_World_Maker 22:00 04 Nov 03

Is it a card modem or USB?, if USB you might need to udate 98 to SE status? and download the USB driver hub for 98?????

A_World_Maker 22:01 04 Nov 03

My own previous setup, prefered that the modem was installed as a HSD device, for some reason, but worked ok.

woodchip 22:03 04 Nov 03

It's a Card WinModem.

malarky
Where is the correct driver for it

woodchip 22:04 04 Nov 03

PS its not a good idea to let windows load drivers

A_World_Maker 22:06 04 Nov 03

Did you remove all traces of the old modem's software before installing?... as its only giving you the options of other coms 1 & 2 to connect, it might be the previous software is still hooked into the coms 3 & 4? Unless I am mistaken, the Com 1 is reserved for the mouse?

woodchip 14:04 05 Nov 03

Go to Windows\Inf and look for an old Modem .inf file and remove it

woodchip 14:05 05 Nov 03

PS that should be C:\Windows\Inf\Other folder

malarky 22:49 06 Nov 03

Thanks to all who took the time to answer my query. Special thanks to WOODCHIP. I did what you said and it installed as 3COM WINDOWS MODEM TI on COM3.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…