Modem not detected

bearpot 18:41 02 Nov 04

On the new computer I built everything works except the modem. It dosen't detect it because when I went to setup my freeserve account on it, I selected "detect my modem automatically" and it didn't detect one even though I connected it through the LINE port at the back. When it said it couldn't find a modem, i pressed "select my modem from a list" and then the computer freezes.
Please help:)

Graham ® 19:17 02 Nov 04

Have a look in Device Manager.

Dorsai 19:23 02 Nov 04

Plase advise make of motherboard, operating system, and modem make/model. I doubt i will be able to help, but with this info others may well be.

Plus is it a USB modem? If so, the general rule is to install the softwear from the cd before plugging in the modem.

If an internal PCI dial up modem, try it in a different PCI socket. The one just under the AGP graphics card is best left empty. If still not detected, just shift it down a slot, and try again. My dial up modem, now out of use (have BB), would not auto detect on the first two slots i tried, but worked fine on the 3rd. Dunno why though.

JIM 19:31 02 Nov 04

show up as "a ok" in device manager before you setup Freeserve install?

When you say everything works except the modem,was that the case before freeserve setup?

You dont say what OS, but i would suggest uninstall then a re-install of freeserve software if that is the cause of problem.

Look also if need be and see if your modem is showing up in device manager with no conflicts.(Drivers or any PCI IRQ's sharing problem)If any conflicts would close system, remove your modem card or poss move modem card to an other pci slot if need be,then reboot.

Sorry typing away when others answered,but check anyway.

Mozarella 21:08 02 Nov 04

I agree with Jim, that procedure solved my problem. Good motto is ¬software before hardware`

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…