modem not being recognised by win98

wapchimp 18:49 21 Jun 04

I downgraded from windows ME to 98 and know the pc will not pick up the modem. The drivers have been installed from the CD. Com ports 1 & 2 show on the device manager, but no modem is detected. I have removed it, re-booted, re-placed, changed slots etc. I even try adding the modem manually. But it is still not being detected. What else can I try?. The modem is brand new as the old one fried during a thunder storm :-(

ARJP 18:52 21 Jun 04

Had the same problem, the modem is not retro compatible, and therefore will not be recognised.

Not sure why you didn't up grade rather than downgrade, XP is about £80 to upgrade, but if you like to tinker, XP is not for you

wapchimp 19:05 21 Jun 04

hmmm. the modem was supplied and fittted by a local store! I do have an old modem given to me by a friend so I will test it. The pc is an old P2 so it wont handle xp. Hence the downgrade as ME was going nuts all over the place

wapchimp 19:05 21 Jun 04

hmmm. the modem was supplied and fitted by a local store! I do have an old modem given to me by a friend so I will test it. The pc is an old P2 so it wont handle xp. Hence the downgrade as ME was going nuts all over the place

wapchimp 19:24 21 Jun 04

I read about the comm ports not being recognised. COuld this be an issue or does a new com port appear for the modem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…