//some 3rd party need geo

Modem - No dial tone

bert_g 13:16 16 Sep 04

Have aquired father in law's old gateway g6-400, i've formated the hdd, increased Ram and reinstaled OS (win 98)and system is now running fine except for the modem. It is a zoom v.92 3025 with latest drivers installed, initially had problems with message 'port already open' but solved this by deleting the Ereg file and uninstalling virus software. Have now got to stage where everything is fine until I try to connect to the internet using wannadoo set up disc when I keep getting the message 'no dial tone'.

I've checked the cable is plugged into 'line' socket, unplugged modem cable and tested line with phone, I've checked the country settings and all the usual pointers, all ok. what now?
Have been to Zoom website and printed extended user guide and found a note regarding the physical removal of the modem prior to formating of the hdd or reinstalling OS. I didn't do this, have I damaged my Modem by not doing so?

cheers,

Bert

Baledor 13:59 16 Sep 04

have you plugged a normal phone into the line to ensure you have got a dial tone? If so there is an option in the dialling properties called 'wait for dial tone before dialling', try unchecking this.

Scillonia 15:08 16 Sep 04

Some modems should not be installed untill after the drivers have been installed, might be worth a try removing and reinstalling moden and drivers.

Fred the flour grader 18:48 16 Sep 04

Is it aproper dial tone? daft question. I ask it because my telephone provider gave us a free answerphone service, and if there was an unlistened message on the line it gave a signal that stopped the modem dialing by saying "no modem or dial tone detected, please try again later".

Might be worth a try..bert_g

good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…