modem - no dial tone

gisjo 13:44 12 Sep 04

Hi there, put a new modem in on a new mother board, on a clean install of windows xp, and I cannot get a dial tone, all the leads and drivers are in correct but it wont get a dial tone. Is it the new modem that is faulty or have i missed something???
Thanks
Gary

huzzar 13:47 12 Sep 04

You didn't get a dial tone in winxp, neither did I - but did you get a connection?

Stuartli 13:59 12 Sep 04

From Control Panel, Phone and Modem Options, check that you have selected Tone rather than Pulse dialling from Edit on the General tab, Wait for Dial Tone (Modem highlighted, Properties) and that the Device (i.e. modem) is enabled (again General tab).

You have, of course, connected a modem RJ11 lead from your phone system to the modem...:-)

Stuartli 14:03 12 Sep 04

From IE>Tools>Internet Options>Connections>Settings (from highlighted ISP)>General>modem>Configure tab, you can enable the modem's speaker.

sidecar sid 16:35 12 Sep 04

In device manager select you modem double click on it to open the properties box,select the modem tab and remove the tick from the wait for dial tone before dialing box.

Stuartli 16:52 12 Sep 04

Actually it's usually Wait for Dial Tone, not the reverse.

Might also be a faulty RJ11 lead, the modem not pushed into the PCI slot properly or some of the configuration still not properly set.

Another possibility - there are a lot of them (!) is that the Country Select is incorrect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…