Modem - internet access

Dench 19:08 25 Jan 03

I have just purchased a secondhand PC which was in use, including internet access, ok up to the day I purchased it. It had been reformatted and all software reloaded, WIN98. Everything works fine except modem. Add hardware only looks at COM 1 & COM2. Using manual find option it finds the US Robotics WIN modem and puts it on COM3. Checking on control setting - system - it shows it on COM 2 although under ports COM1 & COM2 are not in use. When trying to setup internet access it says alternately 'no dial tone found' or 'modem not found' although I can hear the relay click in the modem when it starts to try and dial. The cable right up to the modem has been checked with a phone and it works perfectly. I am at a loss as to what is wrong and I am assuming it is a configuration problem. All checks on the modem and ports say everything working ok. Any ideas please?

obbit 19:17 25 Jan 03

Hi Dench........first of all try refitting the modem in the slot with pc off and anti-static protection of course. maybe connection trouble.

or into another slot up 1 or down 1 if available slot

obbit

obbit 19:21 25 Jan 03

there are also different leads about 6 each different depending on modem

Richard Tomlinson 08:34 27 Jan 03

sorry, was there not a facility on this site for you to be notified by e-mail when there was a response to your posting, where is it. Or am I thinking of somewhere else. And how can you search for all your previous postings?
Thanks

Dench 19:03 27 Jan 03

I cannot touch the hardware as the PC has a PC World warranty contract existing. I think the problem is tied up with the way the COM port is allocated. I dont understand why finding and installing the modem manually puts it on COM3 and yet the system does not recognise anything beyond COM2. Do I need to configure the COM3 port somehow to let the software know it exists.

woodchip 19:20 27 Jan 03

The com 3 may need to be enabled in cmos

stuntmaster 09:58 28 Jan 03

From stuntmaster.

Try this go int the bios and see if you need to enable com3 there if no try this asuming you have a serial port on com2 put a mouse in that port and try reinstalling it it should see that com2 is in use and create a com3 if it works then shut down remove serial mouse and switch on your ps2 mouse will now work with com2 free and the modem fully on com3.

hope this helps!

regards stuntmaster.

stuntmaster 10:00 28 Jan 03

From stuntmaster.

Try this go int the bios and see if you need to enable com3 there if no try this asuming you have a serial port on com2 put a mouse in that port and try reinstalling the modem it should see that com2 is in use and create a com3 if it works then shut down remove serial mouse and switch on your ps2 mouse will now work with com2 free and the modem fully on com3.

hope this helps!

regards stuntmaster.

<<<<<<=============(ignore the first response makes no sense)===========>>>>>>>

Quiller. 11:04 28 Jan 03

Comm 3+4 are virtual ports created from Comm 1+2.

What you should look for is a yellow exclamation mark against pci communications device in device manager.

If it is there, highlight it and then delete it.

If you then reboot, windows will find the modem and ask you for the software for it. It will then create a virtual port for you either comm 3 or comm 4.

You should now have a fully functional modem.

Dench 18:42 12 Feb 03

It turned out that the Robotics modem needed a special phone cord using pins 3 & 4 in the RJ11 plug. Hope this may help someone else that cannot get dial tone.

Dench 19:50 13 Feb 03

I am in the UK. I did not have any dial tone. The cable I purchased was a 'USA to BT crossover wired modem cable part No. 80.297/BT-202X @ £3.00 from Saturn Computers Ltd, Wokingham Berks tel. 01189 733373. I had a 24hr response delivery. Very helpful company.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…