Modem Installation Problem

Someone_Else 16:30 17 Nov 05

Win ME

I am trying to install a modem when I go through the modem istallation process and direct it to where the drivers are it does not recognise the drivers, I am not sure how to get around this.

(I have tried 3 different modems)

ade.h 19:18 17 Nov 05

Do you mean that when you browse for the drivers and open the right folder, there are aren't any files displayed (which is what Windows does if it doesn't see any driver files at that location)?

I've had that happen once or twice (even with XP with which these things are supposed to be virtually automatic!). Try going straight to the relevant file without using the Add New Hardware Wizard and double-click to run it. That might get it to install. If you are using a sofwtware CD, then that might not solve it.

Hope that helps.

Stuartli 19:31 17 Nov 05

Have you got the correct drivers or, alternatively, are you ensuring that ME drivers are chosen?

Modems (dialup particularly) can be little devils and I've probably wasted more time over the years with them then any other part of a system.

ade.h 19:35 17 Nov 05

"Modems (dialup particularly) can be little devils"

How true!!

Kenneth-266656 21:54 17 Nov 05

Only a suggestion but it might help. Turn off computer and unplug modem. Start up computer and when loaded and running plug modem back in.

Skyver 21:56 17 Nov 05

Or get the FCC ID off the modem in question (printed on the PCB somewhere) and find out exactly what it is and who manufactured it.
click here

Stuartli 23:59 17 Nov 05

>>Start up computer and when loaded and running plug modem back in.>>

Oh how life is for the innocent....:-)

If only it was that simple.

Kenneth-266656 20:47 18 Nov 05

It worked for me after a disasterous episode with BR Broadband Help which decided on an upgrade without consultation. In the end the advice came from their helpline and I don't see that they're all that innocent!!

phono 21:02 18 Nov 05

That advice may be okay for a USB or possibly even a serial modem but is potentially lethal to the modem and or motherboard if Someone_Else is trying to install a PCI internal modem, not a course of action to be recommended.

sattman 21:08 18 Nov 05

I take it that you have gone into devices and removed all existing modem drivers prior to looking for new?.

woodchip 21:23 18 Nov 05

With a Modem you should Get discs or disc just run the setup on the disc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…