modem installation - help

Dave123 08:55 06 Feb 03

I have passed on my older pc to a friend. The pc originally had win95 on and had a working internal modem. The PC has now got win98 on, but I never bothered getting the modem going as I did not need it. As we did not know the modem type I bought a new v92 internal one (mentor on the box?), supposedly intel(ambient) according to the shop. I've tried everything to install this new modem,even reformatted the HD and re-istalled win98. The modem s/w seems to install ok, always on com2 (no other option) but although win98 says its working, when I try to use it, the message "could not communicate with modem, check it's turned on and IRQs are set correctly". We have spent hours on this. Win98 does not dtect it using P&P, so we have to pick the s/w from a list. Nothing works, always the same. Am I missing something obvious, I know modems are usually a pain but this on is particularly bad.

Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

AndySD 09:08 06 Feb 03

Have you checked the PC is up to the needed specs of the modem?

Dave123 09:18 06 Feb 03

thanks,
what specs need to be specifically checked,

233Mhz
64M RAM
6G HD

not particularly fast but I thought it should be ok ?

nyleridedog 10:02 06 Feb 03

have you tried it in another slot?
If not try it in all of them and then you can try other things

AndySD 10:16 06 Feb 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…