MODEM INSTALLATION FAILURE

bondzie 15:10 17 Mar 03

My internal modem in a PC running Win98 was damaged by lightening and I had to replace it, following the usual Win 98 hardware(modem) installation wizard. The PC is already configured to connect to a local ISP. When I tried to connect to the ISP after installation, there was an error message "cannot detect modem.......".
I opened the modem applet in Control Panel and tested it this way: Modem/Diagnosis/More info....
The error message this time was "cannot open port". So there was no information on the modem. How do I handle this, folks? Thanx.

PA28 18:27 18 Mar 03

How does the modem show up in Device Manager? Are there any other symptoms of possible damage to your motherboard?

cream. 18:38 18 Mar 03

If you look in device manager a see an entry for pci communications device, delete it. Have you deleted the old modem from device manager?

Reboot and have the modem installation driver handy. If there is no other damage then windows will find the modem and ask for the drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…