Modem install / port confusion problem.

Drum 15:06 17 Dec 04

I'm needing some help with my w98PC. This is kind of a follow on from

my earlier postings.

Had a lot of trouble with it recently as the screen was blank and the monitor said "No video output". It burst into life though as soon as it was switched on at the wall?

Eventually I discovered it was the modem PCI card that was to blame,

as removing this restored my computer back to normal, but if placed in any PCI slot, I was back to a blank screen.

Got a new modem from Evesham, but it absolutely refused to install.
Got it replaced, and same problem.

After a lot of perseverance I did get it to install, and it appears in control panel under modems, however it does not appear in device manager.
Underneath it, a yellow symbol appears under PCI card. If I refresh this or remove it, it is found again in device manager and called a
PCI sound device. I've tried re-installing my Sound blaster card again, but on re-start, DM finds an unknown PCI sound device again, and still no modem!

I've tried physically removing the sound card, and on start up DM still finds an unknown sound device.

In control panel the modem seems to be on Comm port 5 (?), but any attempt to use it brings up the dialogue box "unable to detect modem"!

On every boot up the add new hardware wizard comes up looking for drivers for the pci card, and if I point it to the correct driver (modem) it tells me that windows was unable to find the correct driver for this device.
Sometimes the modem IS listed correctly in DM, with no other problem

PCI cards, but still windows is unable to find it to connect to the internet.

I think basically windows is confused about the ports and slots, and Evesham's bottom line was to format and re-install the OS, but I'm not sure if this will actually work as it could be a hardware mother board problem.

I also seem to have lost some RAM memory on the boot screen.

Any help gratefully received.

Gongoozler 16:08 17 Dec 04

If the modem is on COM5, this suggests to me that your computer thinks it has other modems installed. Normally a pci modem takes the next available COM port. As a desktop computer generally has COM1 and COM2 as connectors to the outside world, the modem will generally be COM3. Take the modem out of the computer, then in Device Manager remove any references to a modem or enumerator. Make sure that there are no modems listed in the Control Panel, and no drivers in Add/Remove programs. Next install the drivers strictly as instructed, this will sometimes be done by installing the drivers before the card, and sometimes by fitting the card and letting the New Hardware wizard find the driver.

woodchip 16:17 17 Dec 04

Remove the Modem from Modem in control Panel, the go to Add Hardware wizard, choose not to scan for new hardware and choose from list, this allows you to choose the port. You may have to go through the above several times till you get the right port 1 to 4 put the driver disc in when it shows that you can

Drum 13:23 18 Dec 04

Thanks for the input guys. I tried Woodchips advice first, removed the modem in DM and control panel, started the add hardware wizard, and then I go round in circles. If I choose to name the modem>have disc>instal from disc>browse>open *inf. >find the file on the disc on my D drive>ok>....it takes me back to Have disc>install from disc.......etc!
So I cancelled that.
Next comes up Modems>install new modem.followed by the add new hardware wizard PCI Multimedia audio device>detect from list>install new modem>next>.checking ports 1,2,.did not detect new modem. Ithen tryed standard modem types, and eventually got it on COM2 .The ANHWiz comes up again with the PCI multimedia audio device, so I installed that, restart etc, everything looks ok in Dev Mgr, but the modem can't be used...not detected by windows!

Drum 13:26 18 Dec 04

I also meant to say that on the restart, the add hardware wiz says, "PCI multi media audio device found"..........again!
Will try Gongoozler's approach next.

961 13:52 18 Dec 04

Long time ago I had this problem and with windows 98 it is often a case of messing with all the options before you will get the thing to work

Some pointers...

in my experience dial up internal modems work on COM3. Anything else tends to cause conflicts, although COM5 can sometimes work depending on what else you have

modems don't always work in any PCI slot. If you are using the same slot as original then it should be ok, but if you have moved things around the slots this may cause trouble

When starting to install from scratch make sure the modem and its software AND the COM port are all removed and deleted. Then make sure after the COM port is automatically found that COM3 is available and empty before trying to install the modem

Ensure the installation instructions for windows 98 are used

Having said all that the initial fault described above does lead me to wonder if the underlying trouble may be a malfunction in the motherboard. Just because removing the modem cleared the fault does not necessarily mean that the modem card is faulty

woodchip 14:31 18 Dec 04

I use a External on my Win98 Comp the Com port is already set and they are far easier to setup. It works on Com2

Drum 16:42 18 Dec 04

Interesting pointers 961.
The slot position for the modem was changed, but I seemed to have the same install/function problem whever it was placed
At the moment I only have the PCI sound card and modem, and AGP graphics cart attached, ie no printer or usb attachments.
How do I remove the COM ports, and which ones?
Also, any special order of removing or re-attaching PCI cards?

Drum 17:20 18 Dec 04

..another update.

On boot up the PC is getting really slow now, and checked the memory 3 TIMES, then hung for ages at the C prompt before the desktop comes up?
Also says my Ge Force Ultra card has 64 Mb, but it used to have 128Mb!

Removed ports 1 & 2 in dev Mgr along with the modem, removed it also in control panel.
Found two lots of modem software in add remove programmes, and removed these too.
On re-start the ports were all found and auto installed, PCI audio card found, and another PCI card. Installed the latter several times, but dont seem to get the port option.
On Com2......unable to find modem!
On Com 5..........system hang, Ctrl alt Del doesn't work, and have to re-start!

Gongoozler 18:44 18 Dec 04

Generally you have no choice of the port the modem is installed to, Windows just picks the next available. Disabling COM 1 & 2 is a good thing if you don't use them simply because it frees up 2 IRQ's which is very useful in Windows 98. The reason trying different PCI slots sometimes helps is because IRQ's are allocated to certain PCI slots, so in one slot the card could be sharing IRQ with another device, whereas in another slot it might have a unique IRQ. Some devices are quite happy sharing, whereas others might be making constant use of the IRQ and so don't share at all well. Windows XP handles IRQ's differently and so doesn't give as much trouble.

Regarding your modem installation, there comes a point where trying to resolve a computer problem gets so difficult that I go for a reformat - reinstall. I wonder if you are near that point.

woodchip 19:28 18 Dec 04

In Win98 just go to Device Manager Com ports and expand right click and delete which you want to get rid of

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos