Modem install

Have recently installed Win98 on the formatted hard drive of my second machine.Tried to install the drivers for Hayes V92 Voice/Fax modem and assumed I had done so.However,in the Programs list under Hayes it says the modem is on Hold.Also when I try to establish an Internet account via the Internet Wizard it says that a modem cannot be detected.Does the modem need to be activated somehow and if so how is it done?

LastChip 15:45 11 Aug 05

Go to Device Manager, and see if it indicates the modem has been installed properly. A yellow ! indicates there is a problem.

If all appears well, go to Control Panel; Modems and run a diagnostic check and see what you get.

Come back with the results please including which com port it is connected to.

Stuartli 18:19 11 Aug 05

Spent hours over the past few days trying three different modems and various drivers on a friend's system in his bedroom because he couldn't connect to his ISP.

Everything seemed perfectly in order configuration wise no matter what the modem type, AMR or PCI, and trying different modem leads, but still no joy.

Eventually I got him to find a phone with a cord attached, tried it on the phone extension lead and the mystery was solved.

Despite having an answerphone he was using the 1571 system and hadn't deleted the messages so, of course, the modem(s) never got a continuous tone.

The air was a bit blue...:-)

Sorry for the delay LastChip - cicumstances.Nothing untoward shows up in Device Manager or in the Diagnostic test.The Communications Port is COM 1.

Satmansq 10:32 13 Aug 05

Which ISP are you using as this may make a difference to the answer, AOL software has a couple of quirks that may be causing problems.

Supanet

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…