modem help

jagsman 17:06 17 Dec 03

I want to send a fax using my Lexmark X74 but i am not sure how to do it. I connect to the internet using a cable modem so i am not connceted to a phone line. I have a modem with fax facility in my PC but when i connect the cable from the modem to the phone socket all it does is stop my phones from working as there is no dialling tone. When i remove the cable from the phone socket i get my dialling tone back. Do i have a problem with my phone line or is it my modem? do i need to setup an internet connection on the modem before i can use it? Or am i just as thick as s**t.
please help

Stuartli 17:15 17 Dec 03

You won't be able to send a fax via a cable modem - it needs a normal telephone line amd a fax modem.

It is possible to send or receive faxes in e-mail form and a search in google (Tiscali offers a service) will bring plenty up.

jagsman 18:13 17 Dec 03

I have a fax modem in my PC. that is what i am trying to connect to the phone line with but when i connect it i have no dial tone, when i disconnect it from the phone socket i get a dial tone.

keenan 18:34 17 Dec 03

What o/s are you using... XP?

jagsman 21:47 18 Dec 03

windows XP Pro

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…