modem fault reporting "no hardware id"

barb84401 19:49 20 Apr 03

After having re-formatted my hard drive, the motorola m56 speakerphone modem is recognised by windows 98, but refuses to work. When I check the modems "more info" in control panel, I receive the information "no hardware id for thiw modem". How do I know what it should be and how do I tell the computer.
The modem worked perfectly until the re formatting and re-installation.

slaveofconvention 19:54 20 Apr 03

This could be a couple of things, most likely a driver issue - Win98 may be identifying it wrongly. First thing to do is have a look on the net for new drivers etc and try those.
Whatever you do, don't start thinking about taking your PC somewhere expensive to have it fixed - you can buy a new modem, complete with a driver CD for less than £15 from one of the small independents, and for around £20-25 if you choose to use somewhere like PC World....

It isn't likely to be a hardware issue if it was working before you formatted, but with every hardware failure, it always happens at some stage so it COULD just be a coincedence and your modem may well have passed onto the next level of data communications existence.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…