Modem Driver update from Windows Update site

Chris Webster 21:41 05 Feb 05

Hi,
My original modem details said SoftV92 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP, I've just done a hardware update from the Windows Update site and installed a modem update.
My modem details now say SoftV90 Data Fax Modem with SmartCP, what is the difference, if any, between a V92 and a V90?
Shall I roll back the driver or leave it as it is?

I still connect at exactly the same speed, which is 46.6Kbps.

XP(sp2)Home Edition.

Thanks, Chris.

Carpigiani 21:55 05 Feb 05

V92 is a newer standard than V90. It would appear that good old Microsoft has given you older drivers than you originally had.

I personally never use driver updates from windows update, instead I prefer to download them from the manufacturers site.

Old Shep 22:02 05 Feb 05

Windows update site always tells me my drivers are out of date when they are not as Carpigiani says i neither use their drivers and get mine from the manufacturers site. I would roll back your driver if i were you as that is a newer one.

goonerbill © ® 01:39 06 Feb 05

if things are running ok, i would leave it as it is and only roll back if things start to go funny. v92 is something that has not been implemented by modem makers and so you would not notice any difference.

maybe someone who knows more about modems can explain the difference between v90 and v92.

p.s. my modem is v92 capable but software runs it at v90

Modo 08:36 06 Feb 05

As previously be very wary of Modem updates from Windows. They are often very old.

As an example on one computer I have a Modem that windows wants to update. The update on Windows removes the voice facility leaving me only with a Fax/Data modem. This has been the same for over two years!!!

mgmcc 08:56 06 Feb 05

V92 is a newer protocol than V90. It implements faster upload speeds (V90 is only 33.6kbps upload, but 56kbps download) and other features such as "modem on hold" to allow the internet connection to be put "on hold" while you take a voice call. It also establishes the initial connection to the ISP much more quickly.

Unfortunately, very few ISPs have updated their modems to support the new protocol, preferring instead to put resources into broadband.

Blueyonder's dialup service has a "partial" implementation of V92, but I don't know of any ISP that supports V92 fully.

Some V92 PCI modems actually have problems when used with V90 ISPs and keep giving spurious messages about "having missed a call"!

Stuartli 09:21 06 Feb 05

A full explanation of V92 can be found, for instance, at:

click here

The Windows Update website often offers drivers that are past their sell by date - instead drivers should be obtained directly from the website of the particular modem manufacturer.

Connection speeds depend on a number of factors and can vary even with the same phone line.

I get 49.2kbps with Tiscali and 51.7 to 52kbps with Pipex on my system, yet hooking up my best mate's laptop to my Tiscali service for updates returns only 46.6kbps at best.

Chris Webster 20:56 06 Feb 05

Thanks for all the information, i've rolled back the driver to the original and now i've got the V92 back.

I've had a look on the Conexant site for updated drivers but I don't really know what I need so i'm leaving well alone for the time being.Plus i've also hidden the update on the windows update site.

Cheers, Chris.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…