//some 3rd party need geo

Modem Driver Update

Templar1961 20:23 01 Jun 03

Smart Link Askey CNR V.92 Modem

My system crashed and I got a message from Microsoft advising me to update my Modem driver from click here

After updating my driver my Internet connection frequently fails - I get a window opening like this click here warning that I am receiving a phonecall? What is this?

Stuartli 20:37 01 Jun 03

Unless you were on the Windows Update website, you would not get a message from Microsoft.

It seems more likely that you have a virus, possibly one of the recent [email protected] variations.

Could be worth running a virus check...

Templar1961 22:55 01 Jun 03

No virus - I keep my NIS updated and do regular scans.

I am signed up to Windows automatic updates - others must have had similar messages?

3Toed 23:17 01 Jun 03

I think this is to do with the fact that the v92 protocol supports 'modem on hold'and somewhere in your modem/isp settings you have that enabled.Only a minority of isp's support this protocol.Not sure why you should recieve a message like that from microsoft-unless you have your pc is set to scan the net for updated drivers.

3Toed 23:36 01 Jun 03

click here
For information for drivers and 'known conflicts'

Templar1961 11:36 02 Jun 03

Thanks for that 3Toed - I have followed your link which leads to Packard Bell's website.

This has a driver download, Date: 18 Apr 2002. This is much older than the one I have recently downloaded, Driver Date: April 21, 2003 from click here

Is this the way to go?

I had the same problem as you a few months ago and somebody on this forum emailed me small batch file, which when run fixed the problem. Since then I haven't had a single message come up saying that an incoming call had been received.

If you email me I will send you the batch file.

I had the same problem as you a few months ago and somebody on this forum emailed me small batch file, which when run fixed the problem. Since then I haven't had a single message come up saying that an incoming call had been received.

If you email me I will send you the batch file.

The .bat file only contains 4 lines.

I will try copying it to here so that everybody can see it.

@echo off
echo [HKR] > %windir%\smcfg.ini
echo HostBasedModemData\Parameters\DPDriver,ModemOnHoldEnabled,1,00,00,00,00 >> %windir%\smcfg.ini
smcfg

The first line begins with @echo, the second and third begin with echo, and the fourth just says smcfg.

Save this as a .bat file and double click on it.

That didn't work too well.

Email me and I'll send it on.

3Toed 15:03 02 Jun 03

your particular modem is listed there-the only thing you havn't mentioned is the Op/sys. you are using.The link is for win xp,however there are other links for other Op/systems as well.It may be that even though you have a link to another driver it may not work as well as a previously released driver.Graphics card drivers sometimes work better with one version than another(though this is not the norm-it does happen).Unless you have had any luck with GoldenEagle helping out,i would go along the path of reading the info.along side the driver,finding out what it has'cured'then make sure you uninstall any existing drivers,before installing the alternative.More information on your modem(p.Bell-I know)click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…