Modem driver for Presario 2520EU

I have just brought a second hand Compaq Presario 2520EU (2500 Series) Notebook which had no OS on it. I have installed XP Pro and everything is fine except for the internal modem. In the device manager it has an exclamation mark against it and just says PCI Modem.

I have searched everywhere on Compaq´s and HP´s web sites but cant find the driver for this modem. I dont even know what sort it is. Somebody said that it may be an AC´97 modem but searching for that hasnt produced any results.

I have had to come to a friends house to post this question as I cant connect to the internet without the driver.

Please help.

Methedrine 19:21 22 Oct 05

Run Belarc advisor and it will tell you what modem it is. click here

Stuartli 19:35 22 Oct 05

Have you checked in the Bios that the modem has been Enabled?

You can download the manual from here:

click here&

which should provide the full specification.

Stuartli 19:37 22 Oct 05

General connecting to Internet queries:

click here

Thanks for your replies.

The modem is is showing in the device manager as "PCI Modem" and when I click on it it says that the drivers havent been loaded.

I cant find the drivers anywhere on the HP or Compaq websites which seems really strange.

MAJ 19:51 22 Oct 05

It will probably be one of these two modems click here , GoldenEagle. Even though your model isn't shown here, one of those drivers will probably work.

Thanks MAJ, i will give those a go.

Why is it that the drivers arent listed on either of the companies web sites? If I was to go onto the Packard Bell (for my desktop) downlod site it gives me every driver I could possible want for any model.

Stuartli 19:57 22 Oct 05

By the way have you tried disabling the modem from Device Manager and rebooting to allow XP Pro to check if has a suitable driver in its database?

You could also use the Add Hardware wizard for the same purpose.

SANTOS7 19:57 22 Oct 05

click here
closest i can get, it may work...

stuartli, yes I´ve tried that and it just went straight back to a "PCI Modem" with an exclamation mark.

Thanks for all the suggested drivers. I will give them a go.

If anybody comes across the "real" driver please let me know. It must be out there somewhere !!

Taff36 08:04 23 Oct 05

click here for the repair manual. Table 1.8 on page 30 of the PDF suggests that the modem circuitry is on the motherboard (Selected models) which could mean that the motherboard drivers you are using are incorrect. Just a thought. Have you checked it with Belarc yet? Or Everest Home Edition from click here may give you a direct link to the correct driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…