Modem doesn't dial - COM port problem?

Ironman556 23:50 12 May 03

A friend's just had a virus, and their computer has been wiped. They upgraded from ME to XP, but can't connect to NTL. The dial-up settings are right, and querying the modem reports success. The modem is listed in device manager and is reported working.

The modem will get to dialling the number, but will then stop there and no sound is heard.

The only thing I can find which is strange is that the modem is on COM3, and the only ports listed installed in device manager are COM1 COM2 and LPT1. COM 1 & 2 are "in use" (PCI graphics & Sound I think). I tried manually installing a new COM port, but it entered device manager as COM4 with a problem. No COM3 still.

I'm not too familiar with XP. Any idea's?

Migwell 00:20 13 May 03

My modem was causing problems the other day, very slow downloads etc. Would not run any better with replaced drivers etc. So I went out and bought a new one, and hey presto everything now working fine. Morrale of this story, modems cost so little now it's not worth the hastle of messing around for £10.00 to £15.00

cream. 07:19 13 May 03

Do not to worry about comm 3 or comm 4 not being listed in device manager. These are virtual comm ports of comm 1 and comm 2. So they are listed in device manager.

Tog 07:35 13 May 03

PCI Modems create their own Comm Port, usually Comm 3. Comm 3 won't be displayed in the Device Manager. Are you sure the correct model of Modem is being reported in the Device Manager?

Mango Grummit 08:42 13 May 03

Have you carried out the hyperterminal test?

If you don't have Hyperterminal installed --
1. Go to Control Panel.

2. Double click on the Add/Remove Program control panel.

3. Click on the Windows Setup tab.

4. Double click on Communications.

5. In the window that comes, there should be a line which says HyperTerminal. Put a check in the box in front of it, if there isn't already one.

6. Click on OK

7. Click on OK again.

8. If it prompts for the Windows CD, then you need to have it in order for the program to be installed.

Then ------

To carry out Hyperterminal Test
goto Start> Run> type -- hypertrm
At connection description……..type -- test
enter Telephone number 0808 990 9000 and from there you will see results.

Mango Grummit 08:53 13 May 03

To be clear, at the bottom above should read-

To carry out Hyperterminal Test goto Start> Run> type -- hypertrm

At connection description……..type -- test

enter Telephone number 0808 990 9000 and from there you will see results.

Brian-336451 08:58 13 May 03

You've not had a thunderstorm pass by in the near past by any chance have you?

I lost two modems about a year ago, all tested OK but wouldn't dial out because they had been fried by lightning.

As soon as I bought another modem for about a tenner, all was well again. The adsl modem hurt a bit more at 45 quid.

Ironman556 20:51 13 May 03

Ok thanks for clearing the comm port question up. I've never heard of the hyperterminal test, but I'll give it a go.

As I didn't format it or reload anything, I don't know what was installed. Will Belarc tell me exactly what modem is installed if the incorrect driver is loaded? There's a specific modem listed (not the standard windows) but I can't be certain it's the right one.

We've not had any storms where I am, but the weather seems to be isolated from the rest of the county for us. Failing the hyperterminal test and trying to find the make/model, I think it's probably a vist to PC Wrold's (argh!) brown box section.

Thanks, Ironman.

woodchip 21:32 13 May 03

Do not know if anyone as said, but If its a AMR modem you have to load a AMR port from the motherboard CD

woodchip 21:35 13 May 03

Check the Motherboard CD to see if there is a AMR modem PORT on it

Ironman556 00:39 14 May 03

Ok, thanks I'll give that a go too, probably won't be able to look until Thurs/Fri. I'll post back with (hopefully) fix or (maybe) failure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…