Modem disconnects when sending attachments

Montego 16:15 05 Jun 05

My modem disconects when putting an attachment to an email. I am using XP home edition, outlook epress 6, with eveything up to date. My ISP is freeserve, and i use a dial up conection. I have unchecked all relevant boxes in outlook to do with attachments with no joy. The only way they will send is if i switch my antivirus off. I am using Trend Micro internet security 12, the windows firewall is switched off and trend helpline can not find a sollution as yet. If i turn off the trend firewall some attachments will go. Is there anyone out there who can help. Any information gratefully received.

Technotiger 16:22 05 Jun 05

Hi, first, make sure that you keep your pc, firewall protected. On dial-up it may be that the attachments are too large and the dial-up is timing out. I am only making a calculated guess here. Also it is not really advisable to switch off your AntiVirus.

Sorry I can't offer any more substantial assistance - but I expect this entry will now attract more helpers to you.

DieSse 16:24 05 Jun 05

When, during the process, does it disconnect?

Try cancelling just the outgoing AV check - it's reallynot necessary when using a competent AV package.

Set your connection NOT to hang up after sending and receiving - this can make the modem hang up before the attachment hasbeen processed by the AV, as it thinks the sending had already finished when it passes out of normal Outlook control - whereas in fact it's still in the system going through the AV process.

Montego 16:55 05 Jun 05

Hi guys
All thi has been done with no joy

DieSse 18:42 05 Jun 05

When, during the process, does it disconnect?

And does it give a reason for disconnecting?

Montego 21:31 05 Jun 05

About 45 seconds after attempting to send email with the attachment.

Reason for disconnecting is: The server has unexpectedly terminated the connection due to server problems or long periods of inactivity.

DieSse 22:49 05 Jun 05

Have you checked the inactivity time in you disconnect setting?

Montego 23:10 05 Jun 05

Thanks DieSse will check that out.
Further info is that this problem is identical on two separate computers (in the same house) Wondering if transfer of JPEG's or a common program has transfered the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…