modem disconnecting

Ewa 20:46 02 Jul 04

My modem gets disconnected every time I switch the computer off. I come in the morning, put the computer on and when trying to connect (BT broadband) the window tells me: Opening port. Error 797. The modem was not found or was busy.
All I need to do is unplug modem and plug it back in and all works, I can ask to be connected to broadband and I get the connection no problem. In the evening I switch the computer off and the next day the same story repeats... This just started some weeks ago, I do not know why. It is a nuisance to do this 'unplug, plug in' routine daily but also I worry that the computer (or modem?) may not like it in the long term... Any ideas, please.

spuds 20:54 02 Jul 04

Try re-installing your driver.

SANTOS7 22:08 02 Jul 04

have a look to see if your modem is selected in "Network & Dial Up connections" dialogue. if it is not that may well be the answer to your problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…