Modem Dialling Problems

goll_y 13:04 28 Dec 03

Hi there,

I've been trying to connect a computer to the internet (using lineone) and the dial tone keeps clicking off and the computer is not connecting to the number. However, I've plugged a phone into the line and it works fine, there is no problem with the dial tone and there are no messages due to 1571.

Anyone got any ideas how to sort this? Using windows 95 I think (not actually at the computer at the moment). Thanks in advance.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 13:08 28 Dec 03

Is it a withheld number? 1470, in front number if it is think that just dial up tho not sure.

Regards.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 13:09 28 Dec 03

Or there should be a setting in propeties that says dont wait for dial tone before dialing that may help.

Regards.

Is this 'Pay as You Go' or 'Anytime'?

Sheila-214876 13:41 28 Dec 03

Lineone doesn't exist anymore, it is now Tiscali. If this is an already existing account you would have got an email advising you of this and given you a new number to install. Make a new DUN and use this number 08451 121212 use any ID and any Password. When you are connected go to www. tiscali.co.uk and re register. (the space is there to stop a link)

goll_y 15:55 28 Dec 03

what is a DUN?

Sheila-214876 16:49 28 Dec 03

DUN = Dial Up Networking. Double click "My Computer" and then double click "dial up networking" and then select "Make New Connection" Follow the prompts.

Sheila-214876 17:02 28 Dec 03

You say you think it is Windows 95. It would help if you could confirm the operating system.

firebobbystu 21:33 29 Dec 03

I have the same basic problem but when clicking connect i wait a few seconds then get a message pop-up saying no dial tone check modem is connected. I have gone through all the help questions that come with XP and have tested the line with a phone but still no joy. Every test and troubleshooting i've done doesn't seem to indicate anything. I thught it was the modem itself but it's status shows up okay.
help!!!!!

Sheila-214876 11:05 30 Dec 03

It may also be worth noting that some modems do not like being connected to an extension telephone socket, or being connected to the telephone socket with a very long trailing lead.

Stuartli 11:37 30 Dec 03

The 1470 is used to allow the server to ensure that the phone line being used is the one listed for the subscriber (CID) - it's the reverse of 1471.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…