//some 3rd party need geo

Modem Dial up Problem

leedaz 15:15 01 Jan 03
  leedaz 15:15 01 Jan 03

Firstly..Happy New Year all..Great Forum.

Me and the Mrs. have shared an AOL a/c for a while, but I am now setting up a ukonline a/c on her old P2, so she doesn't have to bother me..
The problem is when her modem dials up AOL..It does so in the usual manner (ie scratchy, squeeky noise as modem dials the numbers.) but when I try to connect to the new a/c the modem makes a series of soft, quiet purr-like noises and will not connect..so the modem works with AOL but won't on any other a/c I try to set up..
Any ideas folks?
Cheers.

recap 15:22 01 Jan 03

leedaz, I take it that the UKonline account will be the default ISP on your wifes computer. If this is the case make sure that the UKonline account is the default ISP and not AOL.

leedaz 15:35 01 Jan 03

Thanks recap just checked that one out, it is default connection, also IE5 default browser.
Still no joy.very stange.

recap 15:56 01 Jan 03

leedaz, try uninstalling AOL if its not needed anymore. I dont think AOL likes any other ISP.

p.s. Any help I can give in regards to UKonline you can email me.

leedaz 16:06 01 Jan 03

recap..was going to leave AOL on her system so she can use freefone No. when I,m not using it.
(ukonline a/c pay as you go, her low usage doesn't merit a 2nd pay a/c in the house)......... but think you might have a point about AOL not playing ball with other connections. Will have a think about it.

recap 16:12 01 Jan 03

leedaz, is there a persific reason for choosing UKonline? Why not keep AOL and set UKonline as the home page.

leedaz 16:18 01 Jan 03

recap it's 2 different computers,when she wants an internet connection, I have to stop my work and log off,then she can sign onto the same AOL a/c. So I want another dial up on her system so she can use internet without disturbing me.
UKOnline isn't the only ISP I've tried, used old supanet a/c also to try and gain a connection but modem just makes a pathetic noise..try AOL immediately after that and modem dials up no probs.

recap 16:27 01 Jan 03

It's like I suggested earlier leedaz, AOL don't like any other ISP along side them.

Have you considered networking the two systems?

leedaz 16:35 01 Jan 03

Thanks for taking time out recap..I will probably uninstall AOL and try that, network is out of question really.
Cheers.

recap 16:36 01 Jan 03

No problem leedaz, and a Happy New Year to you and your wife.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…